+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cant afford a homebirth...

I am currently pregnant with baby #4 & would love to have a homebirth this time, unfortunately we can not afford a midwife.
    Baby #1 was vaginal. #2 was a c/section & #3 was a successful VBAC however because i am overweight this time around my OB does not seem to keen & thinks i will have a big bubby he has agreed to let me try but i am worried about all the monitoring etc..
    I am also worried about the need for pain relief, i had gas & pethedene last time & am worried i would not cope without it..
    Any suggestions, would it be worth being poor to have my baby at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To help pay for my homebirth (believe me, after 3 homebirths in 4 years we can't afford one either) I am putting away $100 a week in a savings account plus going crazy selling stuff on ebay. It all adds up and at the end of the day, my health my baby's health need to be a number 1 priority....more than the telstra bill, that's for sure.

As for pain relief, I had the works with DD1...gas and air, epidural...have managed 3 homebirths with nothing more than hot water bottles and waterbirth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Use the baby bonus to pay for it

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having a homebirth is costly, but in my opinion having a hospital birth can be even more costly - just in a different way.

I would suggest discussing payment options with your midwife. My mid accepted weekly/fortnightly payments before and after birth (so you can use the baby bonus too).

I think a lot of midwives would be flexible with payment options - in my experience yes they are making a living, but IM's are usually passionate about helping women to achieve the birth they want, so they will help to make that happen. Best of luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

brogeybear  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am going to use tax money to pay for it, but when I was talking to the midwife they seemed pretty flexible about fee arrangements or even concessions for people on lower income, so you might be able to negotiate something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would do anything for a homebirth, money should be the least concern when birthing your babe. It sucks that you cannot access true with woman homebirth care for free like you can access a hospital birth.

Many good birth workers will take installments, and incorporate the baby bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are so lucky here in WA, I'm homebirthing through the community midwifery program and it's completely free except for my scans and the hiring of the birth pool. Have everything crossed for you that you can find the money somehow and have the birth you deserve xx

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are publicly funded homebirth programs in four states, however it's something I would personally avoid...you are still subject to ridiculous "rules" to make you eligible for a homebirth - the hospital is basically in control of what happens and when. I attempted to go through one when I was pregnant with DS2, and they told me I was not eligible if I refused the GBS test I would rather sell my car. I can imagine what would happen if you went "over".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

brogeybear  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm definitely lucky that's not the case with my midwife and program then! I can refuse the GBS test if I wish, have refused the GD test although not at all necessary in my case is seeming to be standard in hospitals now, what I do if I go "over" is up to me and DP but our midwife is insured to assist me until 43 weeks which is a hell of a lot better than the hospital systems policy of post date patients which I experienced first hand with my first DD.
    For us the CMP was the best choice because the midwife I wanted works through the program, the no cost was just an added blessing. If our midwife was to become an IM though I wouldn't hesitate to sell our car either to afford her lol!