+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebub View Post
    Surely a rental property will not always be given back in the same condition, does anyone really expect this. Now I am not talking about damage but I am talking about slight marks on walls etc.
    As a tennant, when there are marks on the walls I cannot remove, I buy a can of paint and put a thin coat on top to fix the problem.

The sort of thing I am talking about is next to where a childs bed was, there was a slight discolouration from the child rubbing their feet on the wall, and when I attempt to clean it off with eucalyptus, it thins the paint because only cheap paint was used because it was a rental house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Renters, answer me this?

We recently rented our house. It was brand new inside (all new gyprock with fresh paint), brand new bathroom (freshly tiled and new fittings). We were worried about the wear and tear when we moved back in. The tenants were in here for 8mths, and to be honest they left the place almost perfect. There are a few very minor scratches in the paint where you'd expect them, eg entrance to hallway, behind fridge, and a random one where a cupboard must have touched the wall. So i guess i was expecting wear and tear to be a whole lot more, i would have been upset if there was more, but i would have understood.

If there are marks where you wouldn't expect them, like in the middle of a wall, then i might get a bit pedantic.

The bathroom disappoints me a bit, but i know mould in the silicone can't be helped.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Renters, answer me this?

I'm sorry op if the owner was a bully, it does sound like he was unrealistic in what his demands were, however I am hoping to offer the other side of the coin and provide perspective

We are the landlord, and whilst some of the complaints I've read are utterly ridiculous ( for the owner to expect it to be the same) on the other side of it I also think some of the comments are unfair to the owner.
    We managed to live in our own properties for years with no scratched floors, chips, broken draws, broken blinds, fly screens etc so I find it crazy some of the posters are saying they had been there for short periods of time and "it just happened".
    It has been hard for us to understand how (our case new tenants have been there 3 months and just had first inspection) in a short period of time all these things are damaged, and put down to wear and tear.
    The agent did an inspection prior
    ( and we lived there for 2 years - so knows what the issues were and told the agent, who got them fixed before the tenant moved in- btw it was damaged before we brought the place. ) and it wasn't an issue then.

Ps I'm not dismissing anyone else just offering another perspective that the owner maybe like us and not previously experienced wear and tear. Also he maybe frustrated it wasn't mentioned prior when it was a tax deduction to fix. Ie we moved back to our unit and our aircon has shat itself and we weren't told, no fault of previous tenant (geckos) but we are annoyed we weren't told prior, we would have fixed it whilst the tenant was in as it is going to cost 2k to replace so we would have done it as a deduction rather than now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    I think they should be given back in the condition they were rented in (I rent only) if you wipe your walls often, they don't stain, if you clean the carpets every 12 months or so they will be better, if you break/damage something fix it!
    Fair wear and tear happens though, particularly when the carpets were already old or the last coat of paint (which was a only a single coat anyway) was years ago. If you live in a property for 6 months then move, the wear and tear would be minimal. But for tenants that live in a property 5+ years then understandably the carpet is going to wear. The condition of the grouting in the shower is going to decrease.

Plan2bamummy - I think most of the comments have been fair and true about LL's. The fact so many have complaints I think says there are issues in this country with tenant rights. I could tell some pearlers about the shoddy LL's and RE I've had and honestly I hate renting. Frequently you are at the mercy of someone that demands you uphold your responsibilities, but then refuses to keep theirs. Despite the TA, I find *some* LL's think they are a law unto themselves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (18-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebub View Post
    I'm a property manager and I wanted to ask you guys who rent, what has been your experience with Landlords and wear and tear at vacate?

Allow me to speak "out of school" but I'm a bit over Landlords who expect their properties to be returned in exactly the same condition as what they were rented in...

A rental property has to allow for a certain amount of wear and tear, taking into consideration what is wear and tear and what is damage.

I have one landlord today who had me in tears, his house is quite new and he has had good tenants there for 12 months, they have moved out and the landlord has moved in.

Well, he is to be truthful being ridiculous, he had me in tears over the most stupid things today, so much so that I said "bring the **** in and I'll fix them myself, I am not asking the tenants to do that"....

He is being very personal against the tenants and they have done what they have been asked to do but he is being very pedantic....today I thought to myself "are you serious?"

Surely a rental property will not always be given back in the same condition, does anyone really expect this. Now I am not talking about damage but I am talking about slight marks on walls etc.

I know I am working on behalf of the landlord but man, I feel for tenants too.

Your thoughts?????
    I think the problem is that some people's idea of 'fair wear and tear' varies. I've always rented, and I always try to return a property in the condition that I arrived in to the house at but sometimes it's not possible.
    For example, if an owner puts in cheap nasty lino and it starts to lift at the joins because it wasn't laid properly I don't think I should be held accountable for that.
    I've had owners try to claim for that kind of thing, and the property manager has always pulled them up and said that it was fair wear and tear and that the tenant can't be held responsible for that, but sometimes people don't have good managers and they'll just go with whatever the owner says.

We HAVE been charged for plants dying during a drought period. They were poorly chosen (ie. water hungry) and in full sun. We only had two days a week that we were allowed to water and it just wasn't enough. Even with wetting agents etc. the plants died.
    I was really narky about that but DH said it wasn't worth the stress to fight it and that we'd just pay for replacement plants. Really got up my nose though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was very aware of marks on walls and things. When I had inspections- I'd go over the walls with one of those magic erasers, when I moved out- I chipped of a bit of the wall, took it into bunnings and bought a small tin of paint and went over anything that wouldn't come off with a magic eraser.

I got a fantastic reference from the RE- they said if I am ever looking for a place, to give them a call.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm nervous for when we move out of our home. The house is only a few years old and it was clearly built as a rental. It's all cheap and nasty. The walls scuff so easily and there are cracks everywhere in the ceilings and walls (not from us just from the house moving I'm assuming). The walls don't even meet the floor in the wardrobes so you can see down to the ground. Our neighbours commented that they can not believe how easy their walls were being damaged and they have never experienced that when renting older houses. I suppose when you see how quickly investment properties get slapped together it's no wonder the quality is lacking. We take such good care of it but I'm still worried what will be considered as wear and tear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I really like my land lords. They are lovely people, we've met them twice. I wish we could deal directly with them instead of the real estate.

We live in a house that's just over 2 years old. We have one lot of curtains that won't open. If we do try to open them they fall off the rail and DH has to put them back up. We've asked for this to be fixed at least 5 times in writing. Still nothing. The carpet in all rooms is cheap and it is lifting and rippling. In one room it's particularly bad and DS2 trips over it. They have seen it, taken photos, still nothing.

I'm aware we can issue a breech notice but in our experience that sours the relationship and we really don't want to move. We love this house just not the real estate.

Like I said the LL's are fantastic, when they Came through the house and saw a chip in the wall (thanks to DS1 pointing it out to them lol) they smiled and said that happens with kids and so long as we fix it before we leave they are happy - which we fully intend to do.

We've had insanely ridiculous PM's before to the point of being called back to clean up a dead bug 3 days after we handed the key back - it had happened in the time since we handed keys back yet we had to drive over an hour back to the old house to clean up one dead bug. House was perfect apart from that. Just insane.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have just moved into a new place- It was renovated just before we moved in. But I'm actually really stressing because everything that was done, was done by cutting corners. The carpet wasn't laid properly, so began coming off the corner of one of the stairs. I actually sat there and sewed the carpet together with the other corner to stop it from coming off! The paint was just put on over the top, the previous paint wasn't primed properly, so something as simple as a kids schoolbag bumping on the doorframe as they hurry through, will make paint flake. The sliding window in my little boys bedrooms- the glass hasn't been properly set into the frame, so if you try to close it from the wrong side (ie the front part of the window and pull it closed, rather than push it closed from the back) you can get your fingers caught between the glass and the frame.
    The cutains are new, but a very weak fabric- and completely unsuitable for the windows, the sun is just continually weakening the fabric, and the hems are all un-stitching.

It's a beautiful house, and these are things which I can live with. I'm not sure what to do about the curtains, but the LL must be aware that things they did wouldn't last, as they left a pot of paint for the wall. I'll sort out the window, and they've left heaps of things to replace the curtain tracks (absolutely a PAIN- the curtains don't open or close properly, and the track cord is completely twisted- so frustrating!)

They've done things that look good, but because they haven't lived here, they don't know how things are 'holding up' I personally don't think shonky curtains and under-prepared painting surfaces should be my responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    We've had insanely ridiculous PM's before to the point of being called back to clean up a dead bug 3 days after we handed the key back - it had happened in the time since we handed keys back yet we had to drive over an hour back to the old house to clean up one dead bug. House was perfect apart from that. Just insane.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    lol I was made to travel 200kms to remove a finger print off a tap and mirror Mind you the PM said she was more than happy to get cleaners in. Yeah like I'm going to pay $200+ out of my bond for them to remove a finger print