+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I havent read the whole thread. I have been a renter, and I have never lost a cent of bond, but we have left the houses we moved out of in fantastic shape.

We now rent out a property. Initially we rented it through an agent, when the tenants moved out it was FOUL and i mean DISGUSTING, they had dog foot prints all over the walls, dog urine through the carpet and under the lino, grime around all the light switches, mould in the bathroom, holes in the 14 month old carpet etc. When threatened to take them to the, i forget the name, ombudsmen type person the property manager threatened me "i hope you have a lot of money" and threatened the carpet cleaner with slander charges as he told us there was no way they had done proper rent inspections, the whole yard was overgrown. The had elegedly done one 6 weeks prior! The whole thing cost us thousands, and was really upsetting, we got there whole bond, but it wasnt enough. but we just let it go as the manager was such a *****

Anyways now we manage it ourselves and we are so much happier. We initially had a single woman live there. She broke lease, but we worked with her to find tenants that would take a lease starting the next day. When she moved out the oven was dirty, and a few bits and pieces werent right, but she had been a good tenant, so we returned the bond in full, cleaned the oven and tidied the gardens ourselves. Now our tenants are a young couple, due to have a baby any day now. They called us to say the aircon broke, we had it repaired the next day. They dropped a bottle of chapagne around to us for xmas!

I do agree that some landlords must be pedantic, but some managers are useless to (not you )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh gosh dont even get me started on damage not being fixed after yasi!! We moved out of our house in nov just gone , 10 months after yasi, we still had no clothes line and 90% of the flyscreens on the house were ripped ! The skylight still leaked ! The louvers were all bent and ha to be individually tapped closed ! And you know what they winged aboutat our final inspection ?? A couple of cobwebs in the high corner of the garage !! They also tryed to blame us for the louvers !! I said uhh noooo way !! Totally not our fault that the crappy aluminium louvers that are 30 plus years old didnt survive well in a cat5 cyclone !! In saying this i usually go and repaint any chips in walls and do go to my best effort to fix anything
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    The place my niece rents is horrific. Their oven was broken (no handle just a piece of wire) the owners refused to get it replace as it was so old they would have to do the whole kitchen as a new oven wouldn't fit in the cabinet. After several months and girls get badly burnt the replaced the oven with a free standing unit. They took away the old hotplate and left a piece of chipboard covering the hole. It been a year and it's not been fixed. The damage done by Cyclone yasi has not been fixed even though they have metal oles hanging from both the front and back veranda's. It dangerous as hell. They just refused to do anything as they spent the insurance money on their holiday so now the don't have the funds to fix it. There was a small chip in the kitchen wall and owners went of the brain about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been a renter for many years and have always got my bond back. One thing I do if there is some marks or damage to the walls take a chip (about a 10cent piece size) of paint to Bunnings and get them to match the colour. Then I just touch up the damage with some filler and paint it. It has never been picked up, much easier than painting full walls. Also if there is some damage to carpets/lino they can only charge you to replace the percentage that is damaged not the whole room. Also they can't charge you the cost of brand new replacement if the carpet is 6 years old (for example). So if there is a small stain that is about 20% of the entire room all you are up for is 20% of 6 year old carpet/lino. My friend who is a LL (a good one) found a damaged shower screen along with other stuff when the last tenants left. She had to go to the tribunal but she got the % of broken glass for a 20 year old shower screen even though she had to replace the whole screen. So don't get taken for repairs, know your rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We moved out a rental house in a pretty good area. But it was a health hazard for everyone living in it. Mold on the ceiling on the bathroom, and the window.
    When we moved in, they had freshly painted the walls of the main bedroom. BUT the paint was peeling, and the shavings were all over the carpet, before we could move in anything, I had to vacuum the floors.
    WE seemed to have one issue after another, right up to the time we moved out.
    About a month before we moved out, a family of bees had nested in our fireplace. Everyone morning, every day, there would be dead bees on the carpet, and a few trying to get out through the window.
    A man was sent out, and he recommended the fireplace be plugged up since no one was using it. Well it never got done.
    The water heater burst.
    WE had our first son in this house, and he was sick non stop. After moving out, my son has been healthier then he has ever been.
    During our stay there, every house inspection, we continued to point out the major issues of the house.
    I am pretty certain there was termites in the kitchen wall.
    During rain the gutters had rusted through, and we had waterfalls over our front and back doors.
    Possums lived in the ceiling.
    We also had a leak in the ceiling over the laundry as long as we had lived there. They sent people several times to come out and fix the issue.
    Only the smalls were temporarily repaired, liked the front door, it would sometimes not line up with the door frame, and wouldn't lock.
    Our house was broken in to twice, because of crappy windows... lost alot of electrical items.
    We couldn't live there. Well we spent all the money we had to dump all our stuff, because the shed was flooded... Professional cleaners came and cleaned the house, which took most of the day to do.
    The landlord still gave us a portion of our bond. But we had left the tube of a air con in the garage, and a bike, which he had to pay to be removed.
    I never once met my landlord.

The house we live in now, was fully painted and recarpeted. The house was advertised to have an alarm and a shed. We saw these things on inspection. On the day we moved in, it was pouring, we soon learned that the shed was not usuable, as the ceiling leaked and anything we put in there would be spoiled.
    And the alarm doesn't even work.
    We paid extra on our bond to move in, and had to give him up months later, because he was being attacked by the possums and neighbouring cats, as he was injured on a weekly basis.
    Anyway.... because I have children, they spill drinks, have accidents alot and the carpet has become lightly stained, apparently the landlord, which I have never met, has been 'freaking out' over it.
    Last edited by White Mage; 17-02-2013 at 10:58.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We're moving in a couple of weeks and I just know that the landlord is going to be picky.

When we inspected the house with a view to renting it, the walls were terrible and the wooden floors were worn. We actually requested that they not paint and definitely not resurface their floors unless a particular area was no longer protected.

Well, we got the keys on the friday but were unable to move in until the Sunday because they had repolished the floors (badly I might add with drips everywhere!) and painted the walls. In addition, they had installed white carpet on the stairs and all of the upper level! It was annoying only having Sunday to move as we were moving because our previous rental had sold and they had stuffed up settlement dates and we were only given 2 weeks notice that we had to move. So, we only had Sunday to move and clean our other rental then hand the keys in to the RE first thing Monday morning. Of course, we lost some of our bond for a dusty vent and a dusty venetian blind - approx $350 for the RE to get cleaners in to do them. By then, I was past caring!

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the final inspection here. We have been here 2 years with 3 kids and the carpet is still white (cleaned regularly and no shoes or eating upstairs), the walls are in pristine condition apart from a few handprints to be cleaned off and the floors, well, we just had to look at them and they scratched! We have felt pads under every item of furniture (cost an absolute fortune) and placed carpet squares under every appliance. But, the floors are still really scratched in high traffic areas and places like the study and around the dining table where chairs have been moved in and out constantly.

Our landlords are so tight that when we moved in and three burners on the gas cooktop weren't working, they got the Property manager (lovely lady - went referee for us for our next house!) to ask us of we knew we had to hold them down to get the gas flowing before turning the knob! The knobs didn't even depress let alone turn and the burly plumber who eventually came and sorted it out for us couldn't even turn them himself they were so bunged up with grease and spilt food!

They were advised when the ensuite shower flooded the master bedroom and through the ceiling into the office (building warrantee issue - the shower had never been sealed) that they needed to get the insulation dried out to prevent mould - the office ceiling now has a massive mould patch which I'm sure they are going to try to pin on us too. The master bedroom carpet is also covered in black mould all over the backing.

There is significant subsidence in the driveway which we are presuming is a leaking water pipe as our water bills are astronomical - we paid less for a similar sized house with a pool and mains reticulation than we do for this house that has no pool and has a bore reticulation system! There has been mention from the property manager that the landlord thinks that we have been parking heavy vehicles on the driveway ... um, no! Our car is always in the garage and anyone who visits parks on the road as they know that their cars leak oil.

So, I guess it's anyones guess how much of our bond we will get back this time. Mainly because of the floors!

Thankfully, the house we are moving into is a little fibro shack that is slated for demolition in 5-6 years time which is just long enough for us to get a really good deposit together for a home of our own. We are moving in knowing that the landlord has stipulated that he will make the place safe and liveable but if we want painted walls and ceilings or floor and window coverings it is up to us. We have permission to do anything to the place short of knocking it down before he wants it done! Finally, a place that we will be able to relax!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've never lost any of our bond, but we did have a property manager tell us that the mould in our house was our fault and our responsibility. This mould was atrocious. I would scrub it all off with mould killer, and overnight it would be back. It covered two walls and the ceiling in the bedroom, the entire bathroom, and part of one wall in the living room.

The property manager tried to argue that it wasn't there when we moved in - which it wasn't, thanks to a fresh coat of paint. Luckily, by a strange coincidence when we first moved in, we had met the previous tenants. I called her up and got her to make a statement to the RE saying that the mould was always there, and was the reason they moved out.

They didn't do anything to fix it, despite it being a serious health hazard, but they didn't keep any of our bond either.

Property managers and landlords must hate me, because when I do the entry condition report, I report EVERYTHING. My condition reports always have 10-15 pages attached, and I write small! Every spot and loose thread on the carpet gets noted, every plant that looks a little diseased, every scratch on every tile in the bathroom ... You get the idea. It's sad that tenants have to be so pedantic about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Renters, answer me this?

I've only ever had one really terrible owner in my 10 years of renting.
    We had been there for a year, he offered us an additional lease but waited two weeks til the end of our current lease for us to sign it. He went and uped the rent by $90 a week and when we said it was too much we were given 2 weeks to get out.
    He demanded half the bond straight up, then it became the whole bond, then the whole bond plus some.
    He was an unreasonable jackass! We went to tribunal and he'd done up a whole booklet of apparent 'evidence'. He had things like a picture of a new toilet and shower head but not proof of how the old ones were damaged. He had only changed them as the new rules had come in where owners could charge for water if everything met the water efficient targets.
    We were lucky the magistrate saw right through his nonsense and we got nearly all of our bond back. Because i missed the condition of the flyscreens on the entry condition report he was awarded $100 or so for that. Sucks because if anyone could have seen the condition of the house they would have relised the owner was full of sh!t! Now as a result i try to make my entry condition reports as thorough as possible and take heaps of photos just in case i come across an unreasonable owner again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We must be lucky because we have always had good property managers. We have always had our bond returned in full with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Renters, answer me this?

We're in our first rental and this thread is making me nervous to ever move lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Renters, answer me this?

I think they should be given back in the condition they were rented in (I rent only) if you wipe your walls often, they don't stain, if you clean the carpets every 12 months or so they will be better, if you break/damage something fix it!