+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had problems with our first rental. We didn't have alot of money and were paying ridiculous rent (just so we could have a dog outside) the house was old and crummy. The carpet was pulling up leaving sharp metal carpet staples? Visible (which I cut my foot on) and numerous other things. When we left we only got half of our bond back because we didn't shampoo the 1 room that had carpet $700 we didn't get back!! Everything else was nicer then when we moved in. We planted pretty flowers in the flower box that had weeds when we moved in etc. but because of this carpet issue we lost our money. The carpet NEEDED to be replaced.

We took it to RTA but the 2 appointments that were made to sort it out were times my dh was working and they wouldn't allow me to talk on his behalf. If he didn't go to work then he wouldn't have had a job to go back too.

Anyway guess what happened next after they took our money.... They demolished the house!!! $700 was ALOT of money for us. It made us very angry.

This time round our landlord seems pretty good, however the roof is leaking and it's not an old house. We notified that agent and told him it was urgent. My dh is a carpenter and said it will cause quite alot of damage which will be really expensive if not fixed ASAP. That was 2 weeks ago and we heard back that they were going to get a quote but nothing since.

I can't wait till our house is built I hate renting and dealing with this cr@p

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been renting for the last 15 years. I've been pretty lucky in regards to landlords, the only one that withheld the bond was a woman who insisted we didn't dust the tops of the light shades and ceiling fan blades. Rather than cause a fuss we just got the key back for an hour or so and dusted everything to her liking.

The last house we rented was brand new. I was extra careful in how we left it, right down to removing every single scuff mark we made. My only worry was a small chunk of paint that had come off the wall in a bedroom due to a 3M hook not being removed properly. It wasn't mentioned and we got our bond back in full, even got an email thanking us for leaving it in such good condition.

Yup, we've been pretty lucky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Good PM's do exist. Our current RE is excellent. The issue lies with a stingey LL, who does ultimately fix things but we need to repeatedly ask. It's the first one that actually seeks to uphold the tenant's rights as well as the owner's.
    That's the same for this house. The LL tried to fix our oven when it was clearly needed a full replace. I so when complained that he did nothing to it while he was overseas and our agent just got the new one placed in. I did kinda wave a form in her face to give to the LL not her and within a week I can cook food.
    Infact everything in this house has been fixed since we are good tenants and I know my rights renting.

My last house everything was broken and in the year we were there nothing got fixed so we moved.
    Theres even black mold growing in the ensuite carpet and walls that I told them about and that made me very sick and they leased it out again anyway. O.o

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I'm so glad I don't rent any more! I rented several places when i lived in Europe, all privately, and never once got my bond back except the last place... the LL in one place lived in a apt in the same building and she was a bee-atch! The place was filthy when i moved in, i had to comb the hair off the carpet and scrub the kitchen. i put up curtains and shelves out of my own pocket... She used to get one fill of oil in september (European winter) and that was it... it ran out in November and oh dear, poor you, use the electric heater

The couple that lived downstairs had a newborn with a hernia. She tried to evict them cos the baby crying was disturbing her. She turned off their power and electricity With a newborn! she had to switch it back on but they had a real fight to get her to do it.

I kept that place so well and cleaned it top to toe when i moved out. she tried to keep the bond cos of a very small spatter of candlewax on the wall... she got all heavy with me but I'd seen it all before and wasn't taking it. I just whipped out the Rental Authority book and said i would have to contact them... she clamped her mouth shut, went upstairs and came back with my bond...

Now we have our own rental property and we look after it really well, having been renters ourselves. We have been lucky with tenants tho...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh Areca, I had to replace the entire bedroom carpet when I accidentally spilled a small bit of wax from a candle and it stuck to the floor I was more than willing to do so though as it was my own stupid fault!

I have friends who rent beautiful family homes and absolutely DESTROY them with pet mess, stuff everywhere, and a general lack of cleaning. They even left garbage bags of rubbish behind the last time they moved and then acted as though it was unreasonable that the LL wanted them to come back and pick up their crap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know when I worked with property managers they did get pretty annoyed with some landlords extremely high expectations and demands - but were MORE than sympathetic to those who'd had their homes damaged. I don't think you were unreasonable at all, it's a shame there are some sh!tty property managers out there who make life difficult for both landlords and tenants.

I don't think I could ever be a landlord unless I owned a purely investment property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last house we were in the owners were absolute morons.
    Everything inside the house was immaculate yet they blamed us for all these flaws when it was actually their fault because they built their house on the cheap.

We moved in when the house was 6 months old. We got done for the paint work because there was a few black marks on the wall. They only had one very thin coat of pain on the walls that was sprayed on so what did they expect? I clean marks off the walls as soon as they happen or I see them, the ones I couldn't get off were ones that just WOULD NOT come off and the marks were so minor that I can't see why it was an issue.

We also got done for the letterbox which was a solid brick letterbox. It gave way when my hubby lent over to grab the mail and he doesn't weigh much. He's 6ft 4 and the letterbox was on a slight hill which meant he had to bend down. Anyways we reported the mailbox to the real estate and we told them that it hadn't been built properly (which it hadn't) so said a builder that lived nextdoor.

We had a dog who ate the switch off the outdoor powerpoint when he was a pup so we had to pay for that (which was fine). However, they wanted us to pay for all new grass because the grass had a worn out track around the house from where our dog had walked back and forth during the day which was ridiculous considering the grass ended up being stuffed purely because of the rain (during the flood period). We also got done for killing some plants when we mistook them for weeds that was created from the grass that was growing through the fence because they never built the fence properly so the grass went straight underneath to the other side and we were expected to weed that.

The real estate agency we were with, we went through 5 different property managers, we only had one inspection in the time that we were there and the property manager couldn't believe how immaculate the place was. We had no prior notice of her coming either so I didn't even get to do a spring clean. We ended up receiving the letter in the post 3 days after the inspection. On top of that we were constantly given eviction notices for rent being in arrears when they had entered our info incorrectly because we paid 6 months up front on top of the bond. They said we were meant to remain 6 months up front when the contract stated only 2 weeks. So that was a constant nightmare, the fact our property manager was forever changing made it worse.

In total the bill ended up to be around $4000 on top of our $2000 bond. Most of that was the grass and the dump fee. We were definitely far from impressed and the owner was buying everything that was heaps better than what was there when we first moved in. It made moving into a new house ridiculously hard, we were rejected on every house we applied for because of it. We ended up just paying the bill because there was no way we could find a house and we were paying $1000 a week for kennel and hotel accom for us and the dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im a landlord & tenant.

I dont expect my tenants to hand me back a house in tip top condition but i dont expect it to be killed either.

As a tenant, im ready to kill my landlord. He dont repair damage that had been there for 12 months & takes for ever & a day to repair simple things.
    We've gone (in my eyes) above & beyond our said of the agreement in repainting walls cause theyve been knocked in general wear & tare but he's still being a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm fixing the two window screens that I refuse to get the tenant to go back a second time for....there is a tiny kink in the mesh that you can hardly see and the landlord is jumping up and down about it, so I just said, bring them in and I'll do them

I'm just so sick of whinging Landlords who treat PM like crap and demand the undemandable (sp),

I have another landlord who up til last week refused to have an air con serviced that is full of black mould and mildew, I had to inspect it and GET A QUOTE and he says "it's the tenants responsibility"..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebub View Post
    I have another landlord who up til last week refused to have an air con serviced that is full of black mould and mildew, I had to inspect it and GET A QUOTE and he says "it's the tenants responsibility"..
    oh lordy of course as you know it's an existing fixture so as per the TA he IS responsible. Mind you he'll happily take their rent money This sort of stuff it what us renters get up in arms about

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast