+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We moved into a brand new house when we first came to Australia. The PM went on about things not being in the same state as when we moved in... Of course not, it's been lived in!

They tried to get me to pay to dye the carpets where the sun had discoloured them. She also waited almost two weeks after we moved out to do the inspection and complained about weeds in the garden.

Our house was left immaculate.

We moved into this house 3 days after we were supposed to as the PM didn't have it ready. I don't want to imagine how bad it was because after 3 extra days of preparing it for occupancy, the floors still stained our feet black, bathrooms still had mould, oven was full of oven cleaner, shower head wasn't attached, there were stickers on DSs roof, no blinds, toilet seat was flaking to pieces, cupboards had food spilt in them... It was horrible. She had the cheek to say the bond wouldn't cover a new toilet seat... I insisted that the LL replace it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are currently living in a place with a bloody fantastic on-site PM (lives in a house in the same complex). Doesn't expect things to be spotless, offers to help with the gardens etc if we need it, and just generally is a nice bloke to have a chat with while he potters around the place.

The LL's came for a visit last week, and they walked straight in, saw that we weren't destroying the place, had a cup of tea, and left 10 minutes later. They didn't both going upstairs or looking closely at anything as they didn't want to invade our privacy.

The place will probably be too small for us in 12 months, but we intend to stay here until we eventually make up our mind and buy a house. The biggest factor behind staying is the stress free PM and LL. I couldn't bloody put up with the stress of maybe getting douche's next time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well you have actually made me feel happier that I'm not the only one who feels like this, some landlords like this one are so unreasonable, but I have some BRILLIANT landlords who are so easy to get along with and sensible.

This guy, however EXPECTS the house to be perfect, he doesn't realise it has been rented for 12 months, even though it's his home he is moving back into.

I did get the tenants to go back (that night) to do some cleaning, they went back and did it, the only thing they could have probably done a little better was the shower screen, but I thought it was fine...the landlord then gets a professional cleaner in and wants me to charge them half the account - $75.00.

He is too stupid to realise that if we go to tribunal (at $66.00 per hour) he will pay me more for the two hours I'll be there than the $75.00!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our landlord is a jackass!! He tried to keep the previous tenants bond because the stove didn't look as new anymore because they'd used it too much.

We have had to fight tooth and nail to get repairs done and some we ended up doing ourselves and bearing the costs. The place needs a paint, is overall dirty walls, food all over the walls, at the back of cupboards and after 4mths we keep finding more.

Me on the other hand as a landlord haven't once disputed the bond, things may have happened that I'm not overly happy about (stains on carpet etc) but they were from people living not being malicious so it's wear and tear in my book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've always received 100% of my bond back and my property managers love me so much they just give me whichever house I choose from their available ones!

I'm stressing to the max about my current house as we've been here for almost 3 years and DS is el destructo. He's always putting grubby hands EVERYWHERE, the older he gets, the more heavy handed he becomes. Getting DP to even CALL someone to come out and mow the lawns and pull the weeds is like pulling teeth and I no longer have the time to break my back doing it myself.

Our landlords are ones who expect everything to be exactly as it was when a tenant leaves, despite all of the damage to the property done by their shonky mates who they hire to do their maintenance. There's a huge mark on the bathroom floor when the shower leaked due to their dodgy tiling and they put a massive fan on the floor to dry it and I just know they are going to try to pin it on us.

Over this whole thing, we're planning on buying when we leave this house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by becclesm View Post
    I honestly think she uses her tenants bonds to do the place up.
    I've known a few I think do this. The LL I mentioned earlier did ZERO maintence in 7 years. Repeatedly refused to fix things. He was also going bankrupt at the end of our tenancy. So we moved out, we even repainted whole rooms out of our own pocket. They did the final inspection and I think realised there was going to have to be big dollars spent in order to get another tenant in (there was big structural damage caused by a bad foundation). So they hit us with a huge list of repairs... repairs we had been asking to be fixed for years. So the owner, who hadn't done zip tried to pass those repairs as 'damage'. They got us for the drawer but I very clearly spelt out I would not be paying for the other stuff... mind you the PM got me back when she started giving us bad references

Then the RE said on the final report it was 'dirty' (which entailed a finger print on a plastic tap and a fingerprint on a mirror ) and said "that's ok I'll just get a cleaner in and take it off the bond". Umm no I said I think I might wipe the fingerprints off myself thanks. We suspect she had a friend or family member that had a cleaning business and would create excuses to use them out of tenant's bonds as other tenants thru the same RE said she did the same thing to them.
    Last edited by delirium; 31-01-2012 at 08:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd have to agree - lots do. Cheap as anything when something is damaged/broken that is their responsibility to fix but will charge an insane amount if the tenant damages/dirties anything. The tenants who used to live in the house I'm currently in had to replace a heap of pavers in the backyard because there were small cracks in a couple of them. The poor things were so sick of copping the blame for everything I think they gave up and just gave the LL what they wanted.

I am absolutely dreading moving from here. We've not personally caused any damage to a single item in this house but I guarantee we're going to be charged for general wear and tear.

Our shower still isn't sealed properly so there is mineral buildup on the outside which I have tried to get rid of even with CLR, it's just not budging and is a result of the leaks - we're going to cop that one, I just know it. We'll probably have to replace the whole shower

Thanks
    Reviews
    My previous LL was too cheap for a cleaner on her property and did the oven herself, frying all the elements and destroying the stove. We had just moved in the day after I gave birth and it took them a month to replace it, promising everyday an electrician was 'on his way'. We asked him when he arrived a month later when he received the work order and he said 3pm THAT day! I was livid. You can imagine how expensive and how difficult it was to cook with a brand new baby/no stove and only a microwave. My current LL are really great and the PM is the best we could ask for. I'm definitely starting to learn my rights as now I work for Console and speak to PMs all day long. One was so disgusting he emailed us about a 'fat' tenant and her 'fat feral kids' and what a tip the house was! Certainly makes you wonder. Though I was really happy to learn you can no longer be placed on TICA unless you're taken to court. Not any old stupid reason the PM/LL makes up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Good PM's do exist. Our current RE is excellent. The issue lies with a stingey LL, who does ultimately fix things but we need to repeatedly ask. It's the first one that actually seeks to uphold the tenant's rights as well as the owner's.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    OMG

We've just sold our house and are about to move into a brand new rental... I'm freaking out reading all these stories!!!