+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Renters, answer me this?

I'm a property manager and I wanted to ask you guys who rent, what has been your experience with Landlords and wear and tear at vacate?

Allow me to speak "out of school" but I'm a bit over Landlords who expect their properties to be returned in exactly the same condition as what they were rented in...

A rental property has to allow for a certain amount of wear and tear, taking into consideration what is wear and tear and what is damage.

I have one landlord today who had me in tears, his house is quite new and he has had good tenants there for 12 months, they have moved out and the landlord has moved in.

Well, he is to be truthful being ridiculous, he had me in tears over the most stupid things today, so much so that I said "bring the **** in and I'll fix them myself, I am not asking the tenants to do that"....

He is being very personal against the tenants and they have done what they have been asked to do but he is being very pedantic....today I thought to myself "are you serious?"

Surely a rental property will not always be given back in the same condition, does anyone really expect this. Now I am not talking about damage but I am talking about slight marks on walls etc.

I know I am working on behalf of the landlord but man, I feel for tenants too.

Your thoughts?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've found most pretty decent but one we had We lived in the unit for 7 years and they were going ape over a couple of broken vertical blinds (you know the flimsy plastic string things that go between each blind? 2 were broken) a kitchen drawer that was chipboard and the bottom had fallen out (bc the staples didn't line up and wear and tear had pushed the bottom out). The charged us... wait for it... $250 to fix the drawer and disputed it was fair wear and tear.

and to add, that as a renter of 17 years, it is impossible to leave a house in exactly the same state as move in. What we found is the owner would do patch jobs to make it look good to get another tenant, then of course things would fall off and break and then the LL/RE says you're paying for it!
    Last edited by delirium; 30-01-2012 at 22:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm hoping that there are others like you. We are SO careful at our house. My 3 year old walks around saying 'don't touch the walls!!!' but there are still marks. I've tried cleaning them but it's really hard to get them mark free. Also, just little accidents happen, like pushing a chair back too hard.
    I'm SO worried. I've never rented with kids before. I just wish you could trust the landlords to be reasonable. It's all
    About luck, I have had one fantastic property manager in my time, a handful of average, a few poor and 1 nightmare... I know very little about any of my landlords, except what the PM tells me. I've also never had any bond kept.

The part that bugs me is there are things that needed repair in our house over 12 months ago that we are still routinely asking about. And also, the landlord wouldn't approve us having a heavy duty hook installed so we could hang our mirror. Even though we wanted to get it installed properly. Just one little hook

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops.
    Pocket post

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have moved out of 3 rentals in 6 years and each time I have kissed my bond good bye due to this, frankly it ****s me to tears, you cannot expect your house to be in perfect condition after 2 years there is going to be minor chips in the walls! I have had re agents complain about oil stains in the driveway, they charged me to replace the bricks fine whatever I go back to check there work to discover that the bricks have just been flipped over!! The last house we moved. Out of I hired the re gardener, cleaner and carpet person to finish up as we were moving a long way away and I didn't want the stress after the last 2 times the re called me complaining about the garden and the floors, when I told her that it was her cleaner and gardener she said she didn't care and that it was my issue and that I needed to get the issues sorted!

I tell you I have just given up now, I do a normal house clean and garden tidy and kiss my bond goodbye when I move, after I busted my **** x2 in the third trimester of DS1 and DS2s pregnancies I can't be bothered with the back ache and stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Magistrates have difficulty interpreting the definition of fair wear and tear so I can understand how tenants and landlords find it confusing.

A few scuff marks or fading of paint/carpets/curtains is to be expected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ahh the joys of being a property manager! You either get yelled at by tenants or landlords! We have a rent roll of about 200 and my property manager is the best , you will always get landlords like that, they think they can go above the tenancy act, try not to take it personally as long as you have done your job properly you can never please those kind of people
    ( the last hard one we had wanted to take the tenants bond as his roses were not flowering right!!)

landlords that just don't appreciate a good agent or a good tenant and try and break the law or ask you to do unreasonable tasks are just not worth the $30 a week in management fees, try not to let it stress you, I hate property management and don't know how you do it!
    ( with any new homes/units we make a point of explaining wear and tear to the owners , some honestly don't know)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 30-01-2012 at 23:02.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (31-01-2012),Disbride  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our current landlord made us come for an 'interview' before she selected us to move in. Then we had to meet her at the house so she could make sure we knew it was BRAND new and her first investment property. I swear I see her doing drive-bys sometimes... I just know she will expect it to look brand new four years on... Lady your cheap **** carpet is worn and so is the paint  there's no way she will give us our bond back, I just knowwww it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    The place my niece rents is horrific. Their oven was broken (no handle just a piece of wire) the owners refused to get it replace as it was so old they would have to do the whole kitchen as a new oven wouldn't fit in the cabinet. After several months and girls get badly burnt the replaced the oven with a free standing unit. They took away the old hotplate and left a piece of chipboard covering the hole. It been a year and it's not been fixed. The damage done by Cyclone yasi has not been fixed even though they have metal oles hanging from both the front and back veranda's. It dangerous as hell. They just refused to do anything as they spent the insurance money on their holiday so now the don't have the funds to fix it. There was a small chip in the kitchen wall and owners went of the brain about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The RTA is very non commital re fair wear and tear, but Landlords have to be realistic. I think in this case today, the home is the Landlords home, not an investment property so he is being very unrealistic about it being in EXACT same condition as it was 12 months ago....

As my husband said while consoling me over a glass of wine tonight "advise him that you have been doing this for 15 years and in this case, the tenants have been very good, done what they have been asked to do" and he can't ask any more than that...

A job packing supermarket shelves is looking really good atm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinebub For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (31-01-2012)