+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Returning to work

Due to lack of finances I have to return to work sooner than I had hoped. I was planning on taking at least a year off but it seems 9 months is the limit!

I am returning to work on Monday and absolutely dreading it. Not only because I have to leave DS but because of the people I work with.

It's the sort of place where everybody pretends to be your best friend but the minute you turn your back there's a thousand knives in it. When DS was born I never heard from them.. no card, no flowers nothing! Nobody ever called or messaged to see how things were going.

I feel like an alien going back! I just feel like I don't fit in there any more and I know once everybody finds out I am returning they will be gossiping about me every chance they get!

So my point of this thread I guess is for those of you that returned to work after maternity leave did you feel like this? Or were you totally comfortable going back?

I do feel for you! But I guess you are one of the lucky ones that got 9 months with your gorgeous bubba. So many people these days dont get a chance to have that long at home, unfortunately! Personally six months is tops for me! I know that doesn't make it any easier for you though! Now back to work: it is hard. With ds1 I actually started a new job so no real worries there. Dd2 unfortunately felt the same as you do now, and felt so uncomfortable on my return that within 4 months I sought out a new job.
    Good luck!!!
    Remember why you are there and try and leave it at the front foot when you leave each afternoon.

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Hi tasha74, I know how you are feeling!! I just returned to work in the last week after having (nearly) 12 months off... I was only able to do this by taking my maternity leave at half pay and saving up some annual leave etc, and really we stretched as far as we could and we've been on one income since the middle of Nov 2011 - there was no way I could stay off any longer and I REALLY did not want to go back to work.

I've gone back 3 days a week, but I'm so jealous of the girls who come back one or two days a week at most "for some adult conversation". They have less financial constraints than us and also, we are planning another bub soon and to qualify for the PPL from the govt I need to work 10 out of 13 months prior to the birth of a new baby, so I really need to get working so I can (hopefully) leave again soon. The worst thing is, I've been feeling sick about going back for months now - especially as they have been quite difficult about me coming back part time and having set days (which I need for childcare). So, I finally went back, and apart from having to leave my nearly 11 month DS at daycare, the week hasn't been too bad. I feel like I've forgotten everything and I'm SOOO slow, but I'll get there. I'm still anxious about the whole rostering thing, but there's not much I can do about it with no family here to help. And the money will be a huge bonus so I have to look at it from that perspective.

All you can do is go back and see what it's like - it's not the only job on offer (although it is hard when you are inflexible due to family commitments - I know, that's most of the reason I stayed!) and there's nothing stopping you looking around for something else while you get your confidence back.

Hope it all goes well, this has been my major stressor for the last few months so I know where you are coming from x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to veggiemama For This Useful Post:

insanity  (30-01-2012)