+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Does anyone run a market stall?

I've been checking out the possibility of setting up a stall at a weekend market in my home town.

Does anyone here run a market stall?

If so, what fees do you pay?
    Do you consider what you pay expensive, cheap...?
    Is it something you enjoy or have to do?
    Do you get good custom?
    Do you find some things sell more than others?

Thanks.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey there,

Does anyone here run a market stall? Yep I run a market store.

If so, what fees do you pay? It depends on the market, I am in regional victoria and pay between $45-$65. I also do some markets in Melbourne which are closer to $90-$100. There are markets in Mornington Peninsula which are more $$ then that - I think about $130 ish?

Do you consider what you pay expensive, cheap...? I think the onces I do are reasonably priced, butI think it also depends what you want toget out of the market.

Is it something you enjoy or have to do? Do be honest its both, but sometimes something I have to do.

Do you get good custom? Yeh I do and it has really really helpt my business - more then anything it has helpt me nut out what works and what doesn't work. It is like the best market research you can do.

Do you find some things sell more than others? not sure what you mean by this - for my products I have things that sell differently. But in general, food sells. and stuff for kids.

Other: I think it depends what you want to achieve from the market. As a means of income for me - it doesn't earn heaps of money. Maybe $250-$300 a market - some good markets $400. I would earn more at my normal job but its great for me to get to know ppl, get my name out there and finalise my products. From the markets I have done, I have had invitation to different food and wine festivals, events, invitations to sell through retail stores etc. I don't plan on doing on it forever, I would like to get my product sorted and make a push for the stores. I would probably go back to maybe one market a month. (the good thing is its all cash though!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. That's really helpful.

I'm preparing for being a SAHM and thought of running a market stall as something that might supplement my income and get me out of the house.

I have a few skills I could use to make things for sale but the Adelaide markets are quite pricey ($100-$250) so I was wondering what others paid by way of comparison as it seems a bit exxy to me making start up difficult. But like you said, I guess it's what you get out of it.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great thing is your not comitted, you can try it and see hoe it goes. The marque was about $500 and signage about $200. Niether are essential but do help. I work full time which makes it harder, but it is fun meeting ppl and being out and about. Oh I also need insurance which is s couple of hundred. What ate u thinking of selling

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to sell bath bombs with my SIL. We paid $50 a week for a stall at Salamanca. We did other markets as well - around $30-$60 each (can't actually remember).

We paid for a logo to be designed and a sign. We also got a marquee, business cards, a stamp to stamp our bags, etc. We figure if you're going to do it you should look professional.

We didn't make enough $$ for it to be really worthwhile but we had a really good time doing it. By the time we made the products, etc and spent all day at the market it was a lot of time for maybe selling $100-$200 worth of stock in a day. But it was really lovely getting nice feedback from everyone about our products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Majestic, $60 is reasonable. Even if you don't sell much you can risk that cost.

Buttoneska, the insurance aspect is okay as I have an insurer who will underwrite me for public and product liability etc for weekends.

Down here marques are not allowed and in some markets they also vet the forms of advertising you do (yes, really). The sticking point at the moment is the cost. I've looked into other ones coming up and they're over $100 too. I think the actual cost of the marketstall is what will ultimately stop me.

I cannot believe Adelaide is so expensive. And honestly, having attended a few, they're not that special. I've not come across anything like it in other States.

I'll probably have to set up something online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What are you looking at selling? As in, which markets would you be considering?

I'm in Adelaide too and frequent them a bit - and have quite afew friends that have had stalls around.

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are you looking at selling? As in, which markets would you be considering?

I'm in Adelaide too and frequent them a bit - and have quite afew friends that have had stalls around.
    Textile items aimed at mothers so I was checking out the kiddie markets. But as hard as I try, I can't justify the $$$ they're asking.