+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How would you interpret this line? (Totally self-indulgent)

How would you take this?

Someone sees your most recent weight loss progress shot and reads where you mention your flabby arms and how you want to tone them but are scared of getting any sort of visible muscle. They comment (something along hte lines of, not direct quote): "You definitely just need to start exercising," and then gives advice about how to.

I don't think this person is nasty, but I don't know how to interpret it.

Is it, "You NEED to start exercise, because you look like you could really do with it!" or "You don't really need to lose much more, just tone up a bit really."

I'm unsure what I feel about the comment (on my blog) tbh... because I dunno how it's meant. I'm sure the person doesn't mean anything maliciously either way because I'm fairly certain she's a nice person, but because I'm not sure of intent, it's bothering me. lol. Yes, I am bothered by trivial things... part of having an anxiety disorder. I worry over dumb stuff.

So help show me how it's meant to be taken so I can get over it already... lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think she was genuially just trying to offer suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not sure. What sort of exercise was she talking about?? I think it depends on what exercise she was referring to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd say it's meant to be helpful. If she was responding to a comment you made re arms she was just offering a solution.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i think she meant it as 'if you want to tone your arms the only thing that will work is exercise' but yeah could have been worded better LOL.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think she was just trying to be nice...

If this helps.... You were saying you don't want to develop muscle mass, but to tone your arms you need to do reps but not increase the weight with arm exercises....

So example, if you had 2 kg dumbbells (hand weights).. You would start with like, 3 sets of 20... Eventually you would get used to it, so you would do 6 x 20...
    And only step up the weight if it is genuinely wayyyyy to easy for you...

But yeh. I don't think the chick was being mean or judgmental or anything..... Try not to read to much into it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My trainer described it like..... Cardio = weight loss....
    Cardio and moderate weights = loss and toning......
    Heavy weights = muscle mass....

Sorry I know that's kind of not what this thread is about.... But it helped me a great deal when he explained it to me like that....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she could have worded it better but sounds like it was intended as being helpful not nasty. The fact she offered exercise advice makes it seem like it was being helpful - you said you wanted to tone the arms and her response was well if want to tone you need to do some work and here some suggestions...
    If there no mention of wanting to tone your arms and someone came in and said 'woah, you definitely need to exercise' i'd think that was just nasty but advice on how to achieve something you stated you are aiming for i think is helpful kwim?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks guys. I am seriously a paranoid person and see the worst in many situations (my OWN situations - not others... lol)... and you're all probably right, especially as she's a nice person not a jerk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a constructive suggestion to your concern about flabby arms. It is what I would say under the circumstances as well.

From my understanding, you won't build any significantly visible muscle from using light weights over many repetitions.