+ Reply to Thread
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Biggest loser - singles

I do like the biggest loser and have been watching it but this yr I dunno, it seems to have taken things to a whole new level of crazy unhealthiness physically and emotionally.

Ppl are really upset to have only lost 5kg - WTF?!??! The old guy tore his arcilies in the first two days and watching him exercise its little wonder. People are passing out left right and centre.

I dunno, like I said I like the show and the 'stories' but its just soooo unhealthy.

My sister is a PT and she is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo appalled when we watch it at how they train ppl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like the 'human' aspect, but I hate the execution.

It's unrealistic and unsustainable. Many of the techniques they use in training are actually likely to cause significant injury over time, and their 'all or nothing' approach to diet is one of the biggest cornerstones to yoyo dieting.

From a health perspective, I would advocate the entire program as 'what NOT to do'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They have to lose a lot in a short time, then work to maintain it. Has there been a 5 year reunion at all? I don't watch it much but have seen some of it. It would be interesting to see who maintained, who didn't maintain, and the general health of all of them.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh my sister said its basically a what not to term in terms of personal training - from the perspective of safe training that is supportive and encouraing for clients. She said basically take whatever they do and you would do the opposite. You don't make large ppl jump up and down like that - its dangerous and humilating. I even saw the other when one of the blue guys (the biggest person eva on the show) was running on the treadmill without even his safety cut off thingy attached - he fell off back of treadmill. its nuts.

Share a book - I think from what I have seen over the last few seasons it seems to be kinda 50/50 but I do know there have been some cases of ongoing health issues because of the dramatic weight loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It made me vomit last season when Lara was in the healthy weight range, and was scolded for 'only' losing 200gms. FFS! She had no weight left to freaking lose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My partner and I were just talking about this.

While I don't see all the physical exercise as an example of what not to do, I do raise my eyebrows re the nutrition aspect and how much these "fitness experts" actually know.

Personally, I have absolutely no faith in Tiffany's fitness knowledge at all. I would be interested to hear what others think of the trainers' expert status.

I'm also concerned that they don't appear to listen to their charges. I was particularly put off by one blue contestant who was begging to stop, saying he couldn't do it and being presented as weak for doing so. If I weighed as much as him I don't think I could do what he was being asked to do.

Has there been a 5 year reunion at all?
    I don't know but I did read a recap about six months ago and a lot of contestants had put their weight back on (I remember "Wal" did and "Fiona" did...sorry, can't remember the others) and that some admitted to taking stimulants/suppressants during the contest.

Speaking of weight loss contests, I cannot watch Excess Baggage. Just can't do it.
    Last edited by Caviar; 30-01-2012 at 19:28.