+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BLW - when to go from one to two meals a day?

My DD is 6 months this week and we are doing BLW. She is just having the one 'meal' a day at the moment, at around 5pm, but just wondering when she should start a second meal? I thought it wasn't until 7 or 8 months (she is BF on demand so gets plenty from me) but the more I think about it the more I don't know what the general timeline is.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 6.5 months, we've been doing baby led weaning for about a month now (she learnt to sit just before 5 months). We introduced a second meal this week. We give her fruit for breakfast (avocado/apple/banana/pear) and veges for lunch ( broccoli/sweet potato/carrot/pumpkin/etc). We moved to the two meals because she seemed to be hungry in the middle of the day for more than b00bie. So far so good

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There really isn't any set rules, I started at 6 months for the first few days a lunch time meal, then by the end of the week we had him at the dinner table with us and just made sure we had something he could eat quite easily ( steamed or roast veg) by the second week he was having cucumber sticks and yogurt as snacks , and pretty much by the fourth week ( 7 months) I would give him something at every meal,
    don't forget BLW can take some babies a few months to get the hang if, the first month my son just nibbled and sucked and got little bits of food in, at 7 months he started eating more and really developed his chewing and gumming and by 8 months he was a eating machine!
    I think the best way is to offer them something at every meal, don't be scared and introduce them to a wide variety of food and they will soon get the hang of it! Food is fun before 1, so as long as she is keeping up his bm/formula don't worry!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 30-01-2012 at 13:21.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the help
    DD is eating steamed veg sticks (carrot, broccoli, sweet potato) and steamed apple sticks ATM and is eating one whole stick on average. I think I will start breakfast in a the next couple of weeks. Can I just give her some toast fingers with avo? or porridge if thats what we are having? (obviously with no sugar etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and natural yoghurt is ok too isn't it? I was thinking I could mush some blueberries into it for sweetness...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Natural yogurt ( jalna is good) Greek yogurt or I started with goats yogurt ( he now likes all 3!) I mixed in blueberries, strawberries or even banana sometimes
    Porridge is fine just make sure it is additive/preservative free
    I made my own " porridge " with just puffed quinoa ( from any health food shop) and his formula with either pear or banana
    Toast is fine, I think I started toast at 7 months with either avocado, scrambled egg or almond butter (if you have no nut allergies!)
    great snacks to start out with are cucumber sticks , easy to hold and they gum the flesh off the stick and they use them for dippers in hummus etc
    Also crispbread , I found rice or amaranth cruskits which he would love to gnaw on!