+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default work experience

My DD1 has been trying to get a job now for a couple of years and she isnt getting anywhere, so what I thought was a good idea is to ring around to see if anyone is willing to give her some work experience (unpaid) just so she can put down on her resume some sort of experience. What my question is can I ring or should she be the one that rings?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If she is under say 16, I'd say you could ring for her... But I think she'd have a better chance and probably gain some experience by ringing herself. If she is an adult, then she should definately call herself.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    She should ring herself.

Speaking to strangers and trying to sell yourself over the phone is an invaluable skill I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yeah she should ring looks a lot better, that she's forward and not shy to ring

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing that gets me confused, I know some people who do this for there kids and even go to the interview and they get the job

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For a first job/work experience.. I think it's okay if you do it.

It's better for her (for her self esteem, for her learning etc) if she does it. But if she's already doing it and getting no where maybe she needs your help/guidance (eg listen to your phone convocation, watch you ask questions in the interview etc)

For career interviews, or when she's a bit old or has some experience then I personally (as someone whose currently responsible for hiring) thinks it's unprofessional to have anyone accompany you in an interview.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

Threadkiller  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she's too old for you to accompany her in an interview and I think it's better for her to call herself

Me and She - 4

Sent from my iPhone using Bubhub app

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it would be more appropriate if she calls; after all she wants to do work for someone. It shows maturity, confidence and initiative. It might be helpful if you help her prepare for the call, though!

Volunteering experience is always also great to have on a resume. (For example helping out in a pound for stray animals, etc)

Best of luck to her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who has worked in management at a fast food store, it is a lot better for the person to call than their parent. It shows a lot about who they are and their willingness for the job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt never go into an interview with her even though I would love to be a fly on the wall . She went around today handing out resumes and not one does volunteer work for work experience GAHHHH its so frustrating, you would think they would love people offering to work for nothing