+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am very sensitive tonight (BIL is still on the op table with his brain surgery etc...) so I am not going into much details.

Yes I think you can.

In saying that I still believe I am not a feminist, I have how ever raised one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    I identify as a radical feminist, and *I* don't hold these opinions. A very VERY small percentage of even radical feminist hold these attitudes.

Radical feminism is a philosophical stance based on the concept that patriarchy is a force that oppresses women, and from this oppression of women, all other kinds of oppression spring. We (I) also believe that some radical social changes and restructurings need to take place in order to ensure that all people - women, men, Caucasian, Aboriginal (or otherwise), transgendered, gay or straight, able bodied or disabled (etc etc etc) are seen as fundamentally equal and that their rights are upheld. I don't believe that this can happen until women are no longer oppressed.

It does not mean that I want to be superior to men. It does not mean that I believe in ANY way that the eugenic abortion of male foetuses, babies, children (or men for that matter) is anything less than evil. It doesn't mean that I believe that a woman can't consider herself a feminist if she's in a relationship. It does mean that I believe that it's extremely difficult (if not actually impossible) to achieve a truly equal relationship in our current society. It does not mean that that I hate men, for maude's sake! I'm married to a man I love with all my heart, have a son who is amazing and gorgeous and I most definitely love him - equally to how much I love his adorable sister - I love my Dad, my BILs, my male friends. I spent half the weekend tracking down a (male) mate who's having a tough time with a relationship breakdown and was threatening suicide. Does that sound like the action of a woman who hates men?

And in talking to my many, MANY radical feminist friends - most of whom are mothers, married or single, with very much loved partners/husbands and male children - these are not the attitudes of your standard radical feminist. Most of them are just people who can see inequality and want change - and will work toward it.

ETA: This blog can be an awesome starting resource for people who are wanting to know more about feminism - or believe one of the many myths about feminism that seem to float round (man-haters, all lesbians, sex-haters, hairy, bra-burners, male eugenics etc).
    Sorry, I should have said that a very very small minority of radical feminists hold these views. And also that at least from what I remember from uni it was more old radical feminism from decades ago when the movement only started. I knew many radical feminists back at uni and none of them held these view.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2012),Tam-I-Am  (30-01-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    I am very sensitive tonight (BIL is still on the op table with his brain surgery etc...) so I am not going into much details.
    I'm sorry about your BIL...Good luck - I hope he pulls through with minimal trauma xx

Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    Sorry, I should have said that a very very small minority of radical feminists hold these views. And also that at least from what I remember from uni it was more old radical feminism from decades ago when the movement only started. I knew many radical feminists back at uni and none of them held these view.
    No worries they're commonly held beliefs (fortunately myths though! ). I wasn't cross when I was replying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (30-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just read the whole thread and think you can be a feminist and do all the things in the op post. I don't get what the confusion is still about Tbh.I don't agree with the financial independence thing either, not sure why I just dont. I believe in having skills, a brain and being employable so if you chose to work you can. I don't believe choosing not to work means your not a feminist. Seems really bizare concept to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't care or think about feminism tbh. I just live my life as I see fit. I couldn't care less if people see me as a feminist or of they don't see me as one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    I remember watching a doco on a group of separatist feminists in the late seventies, it was extraordinarily interesting to see them (as women in their fifties) reflect on their journeys. They initiated the "Take back the night" campaign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My occupation has undoubtedly the highest numbers of feminists along side pyschology and nursing. In my time at uni and in the field I have had contact with literally hundreds of feminists and in all those, I have met one that fit the man hater stereo type. She was completely OTT and used to say men's only purpose was breeding.

One out of hundreds. That's pretty good odds. I think part of the reason these silly stereotypes exist is lack of knowledge. Part I believe is a feeling of being threatened by the message feminism espouses... and let's face it, there are a lot of women that hate women.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-01-2012),Benji  (31-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (31-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me feminism is about having the choice to do what is best for you. whether that's be a fulltime/parttime working mum, sham, have kids, not have kids
    It's all about choice

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (30-01-2012),sunnyflower  (30-01-2012),trishalishous  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The study of feminism is about the study of power.

So OP yes i think a woman can be a feminist and do those things, as long as the power balance is equal

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread.

I'm tired, so I won't go into it in length now, but to answer the question: Yes, I think it is possible to be a feminist and still have these more traditional "duties". I must say though, that as someone who identifies as a feminist, I have found the transition to motherhood and being a SAHP quite challenging. Not everything sits comfortably with me. I might come back and elaborate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My occupation has undoubtedly the highest numbers of feminists along side pyschology and nursing. In my time at uni and in the field I have had contact with literally hundreds of feminists and in all those, I have met one that fit the man hater stereo type. She was completely OTT and used to say men's only purpose was breeding.

One out of hundreds. That's pretty good odds. I think part of the reason these silly stereotypes exist is lack of knowledge. Part I believe is a feeling of being threatened by the message feminism espouses... and let's face it, there are a lot of women that hate women.
    A little OT, I know. But out of curiosity, you're not a social worker, are you?

Tough Love: I know you said that you would bow out of this thread after posting your response, but I would love to see the research that you base your DV statement on. I know that you are a mens counsellor and that you obviously are passionate about men's rights, but it seems to me that you have access to very biased research. As I have said before, it concerns me that someone in your role will make such misinformed statements.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Benji  (31-01-2012),chameleon  (31-01-2012),Deserama  (31-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (31-01-2012),Tam-I-Am  (31-01-2012)