+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    but that could be said of anyone. Yes, women are more likely to be the unpaid, unskilled workers - but realistically it is unwise for anyone, male OR female to be completely financially dependent on anyone (even the pension/gov) for longterm - IME
    I do agree, it's just a shame that women do most of the world's unpaid work

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes.

DH and I built up a successful business, which means that I can now be a SAHM. I am still financially independent if we were to split up, but DH goes to work and I look after DD. I don't do much in the way of cleaning, but neither does DH (we have cleaners), and we both love to cook so we tend to share that 50/50. Even if I were to do it all then I would still identify as a feminist.

I don't agree with Gothchick's opinion that men are more suited to high powered positions. As a previous holder of one of those positions I felt comfortable and capable, and never really considered my gender or that of people around me as relevant to my career progress.

I also think that DH would do a great job of being a SAHD. In some ways he is better suited to home life than I am!

As someone else pointed out (I think it was Benji?) - there are many cultures worldwide where women and men share jobs equally. There is nothing intrinsically human about the woman at home and the man in the office!

I don't expect to be saved first due to my gender, and I don't expect to be offered seats on public transport. I do expect doors to be held open for me by both genders, and I would do the same for either gender. I don't expect princess treatment. I expect courtesy and manners from men and women, and I will give the same in return.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-01-2012),Ana Gram  (30-01-2012),Annabella  (01-02-2012),Benji  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2012),shelle65  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. I believe in equal rights and I am a SAHM. My husband works in the mines but on his days home, he does plenty of 'housework'.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    No. Because the original, and lasting, idea of feminism isn't about equality, it's about women being the better gender.

If it was about equality, they would call themselves equalists.

A woman cannot say she is a hard core feminist and have an equal and respectable partnership in any relationship that is with a male.

To illustrate this, here are some quotes said by the leaders of modern feminism. Read these, imagine they are being said about your fathers, grandfathers, sons, husbands and brothers, and then tell me if these messages are indicative of a healthy goal.

"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo." -- Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto (SCUM stands for Society for Cutting Up Men)

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred and discrimination against the class that is oppressing them." -- Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. 0% is too much to hope for but is nevertheless a worthy goal" -- Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future - If There Is One - Is Female

All men are rapists and that's all they are" -- Marilyn French, Authores

"All feminist women, and there should be no other sort, should consider now the postive things that will come of eradicating men. Demand and exercise your right to abort the male fetus and leave the female. This is the only way we can prevent our daughters becoming victims of romantic notions that men are people too"- SCUM

Those are a few of the reasons that I do not support feminism. I also choose not to support it because it claims to want to end sexism against women, but in doing so it makes sexism against men a goal.

At the current time, feminism was meant to open up new opportunities for women.
    It very quickly escalated into revenge, and little else. Women are still being led to believe that they are getting the short end of the stick, when in reality they are the only ones benefitting in most societies.
    How many of you know that men experience domestic violence in the home more than women? But you still are told that only men abuse, and only women are victims, through various sources. Daughters are taught that they shouldn't stand up for a man doing something they don't like, sons are taught to do nothing that might anger a woman.
    It's the revenge mindset and it's extremely unhealthy.

Because I've already been insulted a few times privately, and have no wish for the insults to turn public and snowball into a "me" VS "them", I won't return to this thread.

Anyone wishing to talk about this further without hostility, if you please thank you , can PM me.

Also, an apology for those who have already PMed and asked for my email address, I have a popup blocker and I don't always check my email for notifications. I will get around to it.
    I just re read this and I'm just so shocked. If one doesn't want to be called a feminist then that's cool. But to spout such factually incorrect information is quite disturbing.
    "Woman are the only ones benefiting in most societies". This is just not right. Women are oppressed in a large part of the world. Women live in poverty more than men. Women get more diseases then men. What societies are you talking about? Your suburb?
    Your 'facts' about domestic violence are just awful. And so demeaning to women. And so untrue. There is no doubt that DV to men doesn't get enough attention, but stating that men are abused more than women? That's just a downright, unproven, insulting lie. I'm just sad that people have read this diatribe of ancient quotes and homemade facts and believed it. For shame.

BTW, one would hardly call Valerie Solanos a leader of modern feminism. I'd say you should do some homework if you want to be so forthright.
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 30-01-2012 at 23:34.

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-01-2012),Bernard.Manny.Fran  (30-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),delirium  (30-01-2012),Deserama  (31-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (30-01-2012),MsMummy  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),rainbow road  (30-01-2012),SassyMummy  (31-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015),shelle65  (30-01-2012),T 800  (31-01-2012),Tam-I-Am  (30-01-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-01-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my relationship is a partnership, 50/50, but theres no 'keepig score' of who does what.
    i consider myself a feminist, as i support a womans right to bodily autonomy, even though i may not agree with her choices (ie abortion, s3x work, pron)
    my job is a mum, not a housewife. if i get cleaningvdinner done, yay, if not dh will do it. our children are my priority. and to be perfectly honest in the last 4 weeks, i havent cooked a single meal, ive changed 6 nappies, and slept (and spewed) 18 hrs a day while dh has child minded and done housework.
    but there no keeping tabs, and hes not my servant (though the ms has knocked me about!) rather my partner who is helping while i grow a baby.
    but then neither of us has had traditional roles, dh only studies 12 hrs a week (4hrs from home) and everything is 50/50.
    we both have seperate money (but based on how we recieved the money, rather than through planning) but also joint accounts for everything else.
    so we are complete equals, yet dont have 'roles' through choice.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Benji  (31-01-2012),delirium  (30-01-2012),Deserama  (31-01-2012),NancyBlackett  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I would say I'm a feminist and I'm a stay at home mum, I do the bulk of the cleaning and the cooking, and DP is the breadwinner. It's my choice, I could go and do paid work and then DP and me would share home responsibilities more equally, but that would mean we would spend less time together as we'd be cooking and cleaning after a day of work and on the weekend, and the kids would have to go to childcare. That would suck for me. I love being a stay at home mum. Saying that I also have a uni degree so I know that when I want to go back to work I have the option to do something I like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    No. Because the original, and lasting, idea of feminism isn't about equality, it's about women being the better gender.

If it was about equality, they would call themselves equalists.

A woman cannot say she is a hard core feminist and have an equal and respectable partnership in any relationship that is with a male.

To illustrate this, here are some quotes said by the leaders of modern feminism. Read these, imagine they are being said about your fathers, grandfathers, sons, husbands and brothers, and then tell me if these messages are indicative of a healthy goal.

"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo." -- Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto (SCUM stands for Society for Cutting Up Men)

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred and discrimination against the class that is oppressing them." -- Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. 0% is too much to hope for but is nevertheless a worthy goal" -- Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future - If There Is One - Is Female

All men are rapists and that's all they are" -- Marilyn French, Authores

"All feminist women, and there should be no other sort, should consider now the postive things that will come of eradicating men. Demand and exercise your right to abort the male fetus and leave the female. This is the only way we can prevent our daughters becoming victims of romantic notions that men are people too"- SCUM

Those are a few of the reasons that I do not support feminism. I also choose not to support it because it claims to want to end sexism against women, but in doing so it makes sexism against men a goal.

At the current time, feminism was meant to open up new opportunities for women.
    It very quickly escalated into revenge, and little else. Women are still being led to believe that they are getting the short end of the stick, when in reality they are the only ones benefitting in most societies.
    How many of you know that men experience domestic violence in the home more than women? But you still are told that only men abuse, and only women are victims, through various sources. Daughters are taught that they shouldn't stand up for a man doing something they don't like, sons are taught to do nothing that might anger a woman.
    It's the revenge mindset and it's extremely unhealthy.

Because I've already been insulted a few times privately, and have no wish for the insults to turn public and snowball into a "me" VS "them", I won't return to this thread.

Anyone wishing to talk about this further without hostility, if you please thank you , can PM me.

Also, an apology for those who have already PMed and asked for my email address, I have a popup blocker and I don't always check my email for notifications. I will get around to it.
    That's Radical Feminism. A very very small minority of feminists hold these opinions.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    That's Radical Feminism. A very very small minority of feminists hold these opinions.
    I identify as a radical feminist, and *I* don't hold these opinions. A very VERY small percentage of even radical feminist hold these attitudes.

Radical feminism is a philosophical stance based on the concept that patriarchy is a force that oppresses women, and from this oppression of women, all other kinds of oppression spring. We (I) also believe that some radical social changes and restructurings need to take place in order to ensure that all people - women, men, Caucasian, Aboriginal (or otherwise), transgendered, gay or straight, able bodied or disabled (etc etc etc) are seen as fundamentally equal and that their rights are upheld. I don't believe that this can happen until women are no longer oppressed.

It does not mean that I want to be superior to men. It does not mean that I believe in ANY way that the eugenic abortion of male foetuses, babies, children (or men for that matter) is anything less than evil. It doesn't mean that I believe that a woman can't consider herself a feminist if she's in a relationship. It does mean that I believe that it's extremely difficult (if not actually impossible) to achieve a truly equal relationship in our current society. It does not mean that that I hate men, for maude's sake! I'm married to a man I love with all my heart, have a son who is amazing and gorgeous and I most definitely love him - equally to how much I love his adorable sister - I love my Dad, my BILs, my male friends. I spent half the weekend tracking down a (male) mate who's having a tough time with a relationship breakdown and was threatening suicide. Does that sound like the action of a woman who hates men?

And in talking to my many, MANY radical feminist friends - most of whom are mothers, married or single, with very much loved partners/husbands and male children - these are not the attitudes of your standard radical feminist. Most of them are just people who can see inequality and want change - and will work toward it.

ETA: This blog can be an awesome starting resource for people who are wanting to know more about feminism - or believe one of the many myths about feminism that seem to float round (man-haters, all lesbians, sex-haters, hairy, bra-burners, male eugenics etc).
    Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 30-01-2012 at 20:56.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (30-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ToughLove, I can see now why you don't like feminism. It really is best not to form opinions based on extremists.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (30-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),delirium  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015),WorkingClassMum  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    I identify as a radical feminist, and *I* don't hold these opinions. A very VERY small percentage of even radical feminist hold these attitudes.

Radical feminism is a philosophical stance based on the concept that patriarchy is a force that oppresses women, and from this oppression of women, all other kinds of oppression spring. We (I) also believe that some radical social changes and restructurings need to take place in order to ensure that all people - women, men, Caucasian, Aboriginal (or otherwise), transgendered, gay or straight, able bodied or disabled (etc etc etc) are seen as fundamentally equal and that their rights are upheld. I don't believe that this can happen until women are no longer oppressed.

It does not mean that I want to be superior to men. It does not mean that I believe in ANY way that the eugenic abortion of male foetuses, babies, children (or men for that matter) is anything less than evil. It doesn't mean that I believe that a woman can't consider herself a feminist if she's in a relationship. It does mean that I believe that it's extremely difficult (if not actually impossible) to achieve a truly equal relationship in our current society. It does not mean that that I hate men, for maude's sake! I'm married to a man I love with all my heart, have a son who is amazing and gorgeous and I most definitely love him - equally to how much I love his adorable sister - I love my Dad, my BILs, my male friends. I spent half the weekend tracking down a (male) mate who's having a tough time with a relationship breakdown and was threatening suicide. Does that sound like the action of a woman who hates men?

And in talking to my many, MANY radical feminist friends - most of whom are mothers, married or single, with very much loved partners/husbands and male children - these are not the attitudes of your standard radical feminist. Most of them are just people who can see inequality and want change - and will work toward it.

ETA: This blog can be an awesome starting resource for people who are wanting to know more about feminism - or believe one of the many myths about feminism that seem to float round (man-haters, all lesbians, sex-haters, hairy, bra-burners, male eugenics etc).
    Darn tootin'

In answer to the OP: Yes indeedy. I'm a wife and sahm who is a feminist.