+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Defining somebody else 'Not a feminist' = unnecessary exclusionary black and white thinking. I don't like polarised thinking. I like to think of feminists on a spectrum not just 'is' or 'is not'. There are many feminists who hold beliefs that I don't believe are consistent with feminism (no I'm not going to to detail them here - it would just cause unnecessary off-topic fights) but that doesn't mean they're not feminists. It means that they are on their own journey to find out what that means to them.

I'm sure the same could be said of me - I'm sure there are some radfems out there (I identify as a rad fem, for what it's worth) who think that I can't be a 'real' rad fem if I cut my hair, paint my toenails and shave my legs when I wear a skirt and heels at work...but they're wrong...

Even the most hardcore rad feminist has to make certain concessions to the society in which she lives. As nice as it would be we just don't have the ability to ignore all of the societal pressures and patriarchal forces that inform our choices. And I think there's a HUGE difference between recognising that a choice that I'm making puts me in a fundamentally oppressed position, and making that choice regardless because of convenience, ease, or whatever reason meets my own personal criteria - and making a choice because it's the only one that I feel is truly valid in my position (ie being forced into it).
    Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 30-01-2012 at 11:54.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (30-01-2012),Annabella  (01-02-2012),Bernard.Manny.Fran  (30-01-2012),chameleon  (30-01-2012),Deserama  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),NancyBlackett  (30-01-2012),rainbow road  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    People can define themselves as they wish.

But I don't think giving up your financial independence and becoming the domestic servant of a man (which is what is descriped in the op) is equal.

I'm not talking about women who are at home looking after children. That is a job that somebody needs to do, whether it be a man or a woman. I just don't see why a woman who could work or study would want to make it their full time job to care for an adult man.
    Because Its nice It's nice to make them feel good because you've made their fave meal or done something nice for them. I like to look after my df because I love him and he works hard. That doesn't mean im a slave or being treated like im his mother. I do what I do because I like the way it makes him feel. Im not expected to do it, and when I dont want to I dont and he is more than happy to do it himself.

(I realise you werent talking about me i just used myself as an example)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (30-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Of course. Feminism (to me) is about equality and choice.

As for the side conversation going on, I am not better suited to the home. I also do not expect to be treated like a princess. I don't expect to be taken out to dinner or have the door opened for me. I would expect children first off a sinking ship also the elderly but wouldn't expect to get off a ship before a man simply because I am a woman.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (01-02-2012),Benji  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),Nmgb  (30-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015),shelle65  (30-01-2012),Tam-I-Am  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    And when he isn't at work?

Seriously? I am sure we just got told those women who aren't good at being housewives are abnormal and few.
    Nope, I didnt make it personal at all..I actually didnt read any posts in this thread apart from the OP before I replied, I tend not to as I never want other peoples opinions to sway my true feelings.

If you chose to be offended by my post that is up to you, it wasnt my intention, but I wont pretend I feel any other way and just go along with what others think for fear of upsetting someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post

As for the side conversation going on, I am not better suited to the home. I also do not expect to be treated like a princess. I don't expect to be taken out to dinner or have the door opened for me. I would expect children first off a sinking ship also the elderly but wouldn't expect to get off a ship before a man simply because I am a woman.
    Thank you. I just couldn't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    And when he isn't at work?
    When he isn't at work I would still cook. For a few reasons. One, being he prepares the most odd food and I can rarely stomach it. Two, Cooking is one of my MOST favorite pastimes.

He can and does prepare food for our son if he is around at appropriate times.

I should also add that he cleans up after dinner. So my initial estimate of me doing 99% of things around the home may be off quota!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard.Manny.Fran For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post

Oh Ana. Once again I agree word for word with your post. I don't expect those things either and it makes me cringe when I hear people say it.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Because the original, and lasting, idea of feminism isn't about equality, it's about women being the better gender.

If it was about equality, they would call themselves equalists.

A woman cannot say she is a hard core feminist and have an equal and respectable partnership in any relationship that is with a male.

To illustrate this, here are some quotes said by the leaders of modern feminism. Read these, imagine they are being said about your fathers, grandfathers, sons, husbands and brothers, and then tell me if these messages are indicative of a healthy goal.

"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo." -- Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto (SCUM stands for Society for Cutting Up Men)

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred and discrimination against the class that is oppressing them." -- Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. 0% is too much to hope for but is nevertheless a worthy goal" -- Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future - If There Is One - Is Female

All men are rapists and that's all they are" -- Marilyn French, Authores

"All feminist women, and there should be no other sort, should consider now the postive things that will come of eradicating men. Demand and exercise your right to abort the male fetus and leave the female. This is the only way we can prevent our daughters becoming victims of romantic notions that men are people too"- SCUM

Those are a few of the reasons that I do not support feminism. I also choose not to support it because it claims to want to end sexism against women, but in doing so it makes sexism against men a goal.

At the current time, feminism was meant to open up new opportunities for women.
    It very quickly escalated into revenge, and little else. Women are still being led to believe that they are getting the short end of the stick, when in reality they are the only ones benefitting in most societies.
    How many of you know that men experience domestic violence in the home more than women? But you still are told that only men abuse, and only women are victims, through various sources. Daughters are taught that they shouldn't stand up for a man doing something they don't like, sons are taught to do nothing that might anger a woman.
    It's the revenge mindset and it's extremely unhealthy.

Because I've already been insulted a few times privately, and have no wish for the insults to turn public and snowball into a "me" VS "them", I won't return to this thread.

Anyone wishing to talk about this further without hostility, if you please thank you , can PM me.

Also, an apology for those who have already PMed and asked for my email address, I have a popup blocker and I don't always check my email for notifications. I will get around to it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (30-01-2012),ComeBackKid  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ToughLove can you tell me from where are those stats? I've done research on DV and found in just about every source that over 90% of DV victims are women and children.

I don't see why the hospital stats wouldn't stack up with what you're saying if it's true.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),Deserama  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Feminism is about people having the same choices regardless of gender. Feminism in action is when I look at my brother, at home with his infant son, he does all daytime parenting, part of the night time parenting, all of the cooking, the majority of the cleaning, and his wife works full time. Why? Because feminism created that option for them in the same way it created the option for her to stay home as she did most of last year while the baby was feeding often. It's about options. Not about someone being better than someone else based on gender.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (30-01-2012),NancyBlackett  (30-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015),trishalishous  (30-01-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree share a book, patriarchy is oppressive for men, too. So as a feminist, I'd love to see an end to patriarchy for the sake of all human beings

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-01-2012)