+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. In fact a woman who is very special to me worked as a teacher but had 3 kids in 2 years and stayed home until the youngest was 3 and went to Kindy 5 days/fn then she did supply for a year before going back full time. Her kids are now in their 20s and even as a full time worker she did all the cooking, packed lunches for everyone, ironed hubby's work clothes and set out his shoes. Why? Because she wanted to. It took him a while to allow it, and even longer to get used to it, but it made her feel good to do that for her family. Her boys all live alone and are independent and cook, clean, iron, pack healthy lunches all on their own. Her hubby was taken from us a few weeks ago, and what she finds hard is having no other person to care for in that way. She bakes for people in nursing homes, hospital, for the boarders even, but she wants the satisfaction of setting someone's clothes and shoes out, of cooking a meal for more than herself, of carefully choosing and packing lunch for more than just herself. She is a strong woman, highly independent, a feminist from long ago, and chose to do things that made her feel good.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    When it comes down to it though - only the individual can define themselves.
    so true, but i do really struggle with this. My definition of financial independance is MY definition. If you don't have that, I wouldn't call you a feminist. But feel free to call yourself one. It's like the stuff that's going on with Tankard Reist at the moment, I couldn't call her a feminist, and I have issues with her calling herself one, but I guess that's up to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think if we had our eyes opened to the real world out there, we'd realise that there are women who are out there building their own homes, carrying heavy pots of water among other things.. I've seen pictures of women with babies in slings with a gun on their back for protection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    That's what they call white, male privilege - you don't have to think about what you are, because society makes assumptions enough to take that away for you.
    I disagree (and not just because you did ). I don't find the need to identify myself as a female or as coming from a low socio-economic background. I am mixing it with "the big boys" (I work in engineering, most engineers are men and a lot seem to come from well off families) and am secure enough in my abilities to know there is nothing to compensate for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    so true, but i do really struggle with this. My definition of financial independance is MY definition. If you don't have that, I wouldn't call you a feminist. But feel free to call yourself one. It's like the stuff that's going on with Tankard Reist at the moment, I couldn't call her a feminist, and I have issues with her calling herself one, but I guess that's up to her.
    I agree. And I wouldn't call her a feminist either lol but she loudly calls herself one in my Facebook newsfeed and all that matters really is how she defines feminism I suppose

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A lady i used to worked with classed herself as a feminist - yet she waited on her husbands every need and would get up early to make his lunch before work and clean the house ( he left for work at 6am and she didnt start work till 9am - so she would get up at 5;30 just to make him breakfast and lunch before he left)

She did it because she loved him, they got to have a nice breakfast together without the kids and he worked really hard for their family.
    I dont see why because she wanted to do these things that means she cant say she is a feminist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard.Manny.Fran View Post
    Yep. I am pretty sure you're not a feminist...
    You're pretty good at making gross generalisations though! well done!
    There is no need to be sacastic. I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I never judged anyone in this thread for their beliefs and I ask you not to do the same.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (30-01-2012),VintageLover  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me feminism is making sure that women have the same choices available to them as men do. It's not about what you - as a woman - do with your own choices.

Women don't really have equal choices if they can't CHOOSE to be a homemaker for fear of letting the sisterhood down, do they?

All this 'you can't be a feminist because you don't think exactly what I think' stuff frustrates me. I don't think it should be some sort of exclusive club - that seems to defeat the purpose?

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (01-02-2012),Annabella  (01-02-2012),Bernard.Manny.Fran  (30-01-2012),ComeBackKid  (30-01-2012),Deserama  (31-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),MissMuppet  (30-01-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (30-01-2012),MuminMind  (30-01-2012),rainbow road  (30-01-2012),Rutabaga  (30-01-2012),SassyMummy  (30-01-2012),saxonrose  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    People can define themselves as they wish.

But I don't think giving up your financial independence and becoming the domestic servant of a man (which is what is descriped in the op) is equal.

I'm not talking about women who are at home looking after children. That is a job that somebody needs to do, whether it be a man or a woman. I just don't see why a woman who could work or study would want to make it their full time job to care for an adult man.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-01-2012),shelle65  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    There is no need to be sacastic. I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I never judged anyone in this thread for their beliefs and I ask you not to do the same.
    I'm not judging you. The op asked if you thought you could be a feminist AND be a stay at home mother who cooked, cleaned, cared for her husband and children etc.
    All you came in and said was that females are better suited to that type of role and men are better suited to powerful jobs.
    You gave no opinion on the actual topic, just that women are better suited in the home.