+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Throw your sleep suggestions at me..

Seriously over this sleep ****, like really over it. Is it really unrealistic to expect my 3&4 year old to sleep for longer than 2 hours alone ie not sleeping on top of me? Really over it, about to buy a lock so I can lock them in a room down the other end of the house overnight. Go on, throw your suggestions at me bet I've tried everything but drugging them (and I'm considering a trip to the GP to try this too). These 2 kids would make TH pee her pants.

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS only just stopped waking me at age 5 years old. It's so draining, years of sleep deprivation is sheer torture.

I can't really think what changed once he stopped bugging us at night, but perhaps a lock on YOUR door might help?

They really are old enough to be told that mum & dad need to sleep, it's time for bed and only wake us if you are dying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel your pain, my DS is 5 and still gets us up in the night but it's not as bad.

We bought him a gro clock which changes colour - if it's blue it's bed time (really don't care if you sleep but you do NOT get out of bed while blue), yellow is up time,

We bought him a lamp and put a dimmer switch from Ikea on it so we turn it down low, he sometimes gets up and puts it brighter but then will get back into bed.

We put a safety gate on his door (has now been removed as we moved house) and on nights when it got completely out of control and everyone needed a time out we shut the gate. It's not always pretty but we only ended up using it a couple of times as it proved the point to him and he didn't like it (he was over 3 at this point).

If he continues to get up for no apparent reason (no illness or anything) there is no TV the next morning and an early bedtime.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My DS only just stopped waking me at age 5 years old. It's so draining, years of sleep deprivation is sheer torture.

I can't really think what changed once he stopped bugging us at night, but perhaps a lock on YOUR door might help?

They really are old enough to be told that mum & dad need to sleep, it's time for bed and only wake us if you are dying.
    Thx B, I'm not sure I could be sure they were safe if I put a lock on my door, I wouldn't know what they were up to or where they were? Does that make sense?

I agree they are old enough, I'm waiting for 8 am to roll around so I can call ngala for the millionth time

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Makes sense What a pain. I really do think something just 'clicked' in my son's head one day and he just stopped waking us. He still calls out if he has a nightmare or is unwell but 99% of the time he now sleeps all night after waking me for years and years and years several times a night. He even goes to the toilet and gets himself back to bed. I'm always shocked when he does that as I'm so accustomed to being pestered at night!

I did find he woke less when I made him get himself back to bed rather than me getting up and tucking him in. I guess there was no payoff for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just sent you a long PM! Hope it makes sense - your kids are a bit older than my DD1, but maybe something on it will help!

A.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 3 year old has gone through some stages where she will play up at night and continuously come out of her room - i just pick her up and put her back into her bed. I keep doing this - even if it takes 20 times before she stops. It is quite exhausting but i have found it to be successful. I think once they realise that you are just going to keep putting them back they get tired of trying.

I hope you can find something that works, it is so exhausting and draining when you have to deal with sleep issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This could be a long shot but have you had them adjusted by a child-friendly chiro or osteo?

My osteo is amazing and has suggested adjustments for behaviour so I'm sure it would be recommended for sleep too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry no suggestions from me, I'm trying to do the tough love thing and have spent two hours a night for the past 3 nights dragging my two year old back to bed, well the first night it was carrying, the second it was kinda walking him back, tonight it was more like dragging him as i had bubs in the other arm who also started everytime I put him down (normally I settle him first but M2 kept coming and disturbing him tonight). I pray for the night they will both go to bed and sleep all night.
    Chronic fatigue, exhaustion whatever you want to call it, can wreck your life and stop you from functioning like a normal human being, well, thats my excuse anyway!

Good luck, hope you get the little darlings to stay asleep soon for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh god, I hope someone can help you, or else I'm gonna snap. Mine is 3 and is sucking all the joy out of me. I'm now crying for the 4th time tonight.
    I'm so angry. He's asleep now and I'm still angry.