+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default fathers paternity leave questions..

Good morning!
    Does anyone know much about the leave fathers get? I thought it was a month off work but full pay?
    Have been googling it and doesnt seem to come in until january 2013 but i was sure it already was in? dads take leave which doesnt come out of their annual leave and its paid from gov? or work is forced to let the dads take it and pay them?

if someone could explain it to me that would be great! i couldnt find a website that really explained it well..
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pretty sure there is no paid leave for fathers. We didn't get anything. DP had to use annual leave. There is talk of the government paying dads something but not for a few years

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you can split your maternity leave. Like if you were to go back to work after 6 weeks he could take the remaining 12 weeks.
    There is no paid paternal leave at a federal government level, that the mother and father can take at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No the government one hasn't been introduced yet and when it is I'm pretty sure it will be two weeks.

Unless his work provides for paid paternity leave he will need to use annual leave or take unpaid leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's no paternity leave, paid or otherwise universally available. The only exception as kristanandchloe has said is if the mother returns to work & the father becomes the primary care giver, then the paid parental leave pay goes to the father instead of the mother. But I'm assuming that's not what you mean.

Having said that some types of jobs do have a paid parental leave clause in their award. From memory in my previous job Dad's had 1 weeks paid parental leave allowed. My dh doesn't have paid paternity leave in his job as such but he was allowed to take leave for a month. He was going to use his annual leave (he has about 7 weeks up his sleeve), but then was told he should use his personal leave (which he also has heaps of), so in the end it was the personal leave he used & he got 4 weeks off after our dd arrived.

My dh is a boss and he employed someone in October last year and his wife is about to have a baby. The employee has used all his personal leave and as he's only been employed a few months has virtually no annual leave yet. So, harsh as it is, the reality is that his award allows the day of the birth as leave and that's it for paid leave. They have negotiated it and I think in the end he'll get a week off work by saving up some time in lieu days (which usually isn't done), but then that will be that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Like other posters said there is no paid paternity leave from the government yet. You can split the paid parental leave if you go back to work.

The company my DH works for did not have paid paternity leave in their contracts. If he was going to be the primary care giver they would have allowed him up to a year off without pay. So he just used his annual leave and also carers leave (which is paid) as I had a c section and needed him home to help out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies!
    you have cleared that up for us. Will get DH to speak to his work about what he can do with time off. i dont think he has much annual leave left but maybe personal leave could be taken.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband will get two weeks paid leave from his employer so maybe it depends on where he works??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DF is entitled to one week paid from work, and will take annual leave and his full allowance of carer's leave (10 days) as I'll be having a c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH was given 2 weeks paternity leave fully paid. It definitely depends on their workplace agreement.