+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Both my son's Grandfather's have passed, so out of respect to those two wonderful men, my Mam's boyfriend will only be called by his name.
    He has his own family and Grandchildren anyway, so I don't think it's something he'd be feeling sensitive about

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (30-01-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I call my step-dad's mum "Grandma". I met her when I was ten. I think I called her by her name until my little bros were born, then I called them Grandma and Papa the way my brothers did.

DPs family refer to me as "Aunty Kim" even though I'm not technically his aunty. I was present at his birth though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    my kids call my dad's wife by her name - same as I do.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousins had a step grandmother called Rose who they called Nana Rose - but there were generally good relationships all round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step-parents are Grandad and Nana Lizzie (she felt to young to be straight Nana), and although I call each by their name my step-fathers mum was Nana Ruth. My parents have been married for ages tho.

In my DPs culture the title is important (step mother just wanted to be called her name originally), respect as much for your father as it is for his DP. Is she likely to be around for a while???

Maybe take a twist on the swedish titles Farwi (fathers wife) or farmi (fathers missus)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are yet to have kids, but I have step-families coming out of my ears!

I think I have decided (not sure DH knows yet!) that my kids will call my stepmum Grandma. My mum and stepdad (who is as much of a dad as my bio dad) will be Nan and Poppy at their request, DHs parents have their own (different) names that my neice calls them, so I think that Grandad will be good for my dad. Even though I don't have a fantastic relationship with my stepmum, and call her by name, my kids will have the opportunity to build a great relationship with her. I don't want to take that from them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a step mother and step father. To my children they are grandma and grandfa. They may not be biological but they have both been apart of our family well before my children were born and the bond between my children and them is no different to the bond with their biological. They are the first and only grandchildren to date. Each grandparent offers something completely great, wonderful and different to each other.

My children are lucky to have 3 grandmas and 3 grandad. (Nanna, 2x grandma, 1 grandfa and 2 granddads)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like other people have replied - my husbands grandparents all separated and married other people, so the biological grandparents are called Grandma/pa and then their partners are Grandma/pa *Insert their name* because as their relationships were enduring, they would also be playing the role of a grandparent. It helps to create a true sense of family - as already mentioned however, this can be difficult it the existing relationships are not great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    my kids call my dad's wife by her name - same as I do.
    I totally agree with ^. I don't want my children calling a step parent anything but their name. My mum has only been with this man for the last 5 or so years so who knows what will happen. They are engaged but not married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://grandparents.about.com/od/adv...rannynames.htm

Try this site. You may be able to find a name from a different culture