+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Deffinetly there name no matter how long they've been together they may easily just get up and leave its not worth the hassle tbh

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dad's partner's name is Polly, so we combined Grandma + Polly= Golly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

skebn  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about Nanma?

DD calls DH's mum Nanma, or Nanna Mar X...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niki24 For This Useful Post:

skebn  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I call her by her first name. When we visited them, they introduced me as 'their' daughter and dd as 'their' granddaughter. She only entered his life when I was pregnant at 22, and moved to another state when dd was about 1 so she had not seen dd is nearly 6 years and he had not seen her in nearly 3 years. And we haven't seen her since, and have seen him once, briefly, last May so there is really no relationship with either of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

skebn  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also wondering this at the moment too. My mum's partner (who is female) is definitely going to be around for a long time and I think I'm just going to ask her what she'd like to be called. She's definitely going to be a big part of my child's life though and I think I'd like her to have a grandparent name, not just her own name, even though we are not especially close. DP's mum will be granny and my mum will be nana, guess we'll just see how it pans out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My stepmum is Ma to DS. My brother and I have always called her by her first name.

She married my dad when I was about 9 but has been around my whole life (she and dad deny that they were having an affair while my parents were married but she moved in 3 weeks after mum moved out). Dad and my step-mum have been married for about 25 years (together a lot longer) so I'm confident that she's a permanent fixture.

My nephew who is 4 years older than DS used to call her by her first name (which made my mother happy) but when I was pregnant I asked her to pick a grandmother name as it seemed wrong (she's been more of a mother to me than my mum) for her not to have one. She picked Ma and my nephew loves it, so now he, DS and my niece (who has since been born). I don't know how mum feels about it but as she chooses not to be involved with DS I do not care.

My step-mum has been around forever pretty much, I do not know how I would feel if it was a new girlfriend. I'd probably treat it like I do my sister's boyfriend. He's been around about 2 years (currently deployed o/s with the army so DS hasn't seen him recently) but DS calls him by his first name whereas my brother's wife is Aunty. If my sister and her boyfriend move in together or got engaged I'd probably encourage the uncle tittle then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You could just use her name... the name won't change the relationship they have together, and really, that's more important than a title IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I refer to my grandfathers wife as 'Aunty' (she's 4 years older than my mum) or by her name. She's been around since I was born and I was flower girl at their wedding 22 years ago.

My kids refer to my step parents (I have 3!) as Nana, Grandpa and Pop, while they might not have as huge a role in MY life, they will have similar roles in my kids lives to my parents and my step-siblings kids are their 'cousins'. We're just one giant blended family.

I don't see any issue with not using a specific term. My step-sisters daughter didn't like calling Dad by his first name and invented her own term which all the kids use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I call my step parents (both mum and dad remarried) by their names. But my kids call them granny, and papa. Because although my step parents haven't been in my life since day one, they have been in my children's so my children don't see them any differently than other grandparents. My kids are all smart enough to know who belongs to who parent wise and to them, there are just more people in their life who love them.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    my kids call my dad's wife by her name - same as I do.