+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to call your father's partner....

Hi Ladies

Our first child is due in July and we're trying to figure out what to call my dad's partner. They are not married but have been in a relationship for about 3 years now, so she seems to be a relatively permanent feature.

The thing is, I don't want her to be called the traditional "nana, grandma" etc as I don't want to take this away from our biological mothers.

Just wondering if anyone is/was in the same position and what you called them. Or even if you haven't been in this situation and have some suggestions that would be fab!

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    how about her name

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We chose 'Grandma' for her (she's been with my Dad for over 10 years), but she did not wish to be called that. She suggested 'Aunty', which I was not comfortable with - so now she is just referred to by her name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My mum and dad split after 32 years my mum
    Took it really hard as dad did the whole mid life crisis thing and married his secretary bought a convertible died his hair etc you get the picture
    Dad tried to get me to call her mum (f&;@k off) and when DD was born my mum who still isn't coping does not want "her" to have a title, for all I care she can call herself lady gaga my DD has a grandad and grandma a granny and pop thats all that matters if any one wants to labor thenselves something they can it's not like it matters

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about Mimi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh see I don't have the best relationship with her so it doesn't feel right calling her the traditional Grandma, Nana etc. And I really want that to be something we save for our biological mothers. However, she is already calling herself grandma so obviously she wants to be called 'something' so just calling her by her name is obviously out of the question. I agree that 'Aunty' is not right either as that then detracts from our brothers and sisters.

Was thinking something like MiMi or NiNi

munchkin05 is offline just me, my boy and my baby bump
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dad was to young apparently to be a grandad (he was 50) anyways he got g-dad and his girlfriend who he has been with for about 7-8 years is g-ma
    My mum is granny and her partner is grandad ... Without him my DS wouldn't have a grandad and he takes pride in being a grandad
    I guess it depends on the relationship that u have with her as to what she's called
    If my mums boyfriend doesn't see DS for a couple of days he either calls or pops in he even set up Skype on DS computer so he could Skype with him if he couldn't get over to see him

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad had a partner for about 3-4 years, they recently broke up. We met her several times.. and knew they were together but it was always his 'friend' <insert name here>, we werent close to her. When DS was born I didn't even consider her being anything, certainly not a grandmother.
    I guess it depends on the type of relationship you have with them and that they would have with your child. I would suggest 'aunty' as thats what seems to be the common thing for friends who are close but arent family, as well as actually related aunties. However I would have just encouraged DS to call her by her given name if she were still around, I don't like the idea of aunties that arent aunties or titles that arent what they actually are, but im picky and dont want to confuse my DS in case those people dont hang around, like my dads partner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dad's wife is called by her first name. She is only 10 years older than me and she has never said anything and neither has my dad.

I think it would be wierd for my kids to call her Grandma or something like that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mums husband was called poppy. I'm not a huge fan of "poppy" I didn't have one growing up and didn't want anyone to use it. Fil got granddad, my dad is Dar and i wanted step dad to be Pa. But he chose poppy since he grew up with a poppy and his older children. called his dad poppy. I relented as I knew what ever dd called him was what his biological grandchildren would be using too.

My mum gets called Ma. Originally it was going to be Mima.

He is some list for alternatives. I'd probably go with something from a different language like nonna etc

http://grandparents.about.com/od/adv...rannynames.htm

http://www.grandparents.com/gp/conte...her-names.html