+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nipple thrush and feeding

DS had oral thrush 2 weeks ago, the past few days my nipples have been raw and painful. ABA councellor suggested thrush.... I hadnt thought of it. Anyways cant get to doc till tomorrow eve, im using daktarin to rub on my nipples but DS isnt being treated at the moment.

He is 4 mo so cant have daktarin.

My nipples are in a bad state and i am in agony feeding. Tried expressing but that mafe them worse.

Any suggestions how to make feeding easier? Also does anyone know what docs perscribe fir nipple thrush???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this when my little one was about 9 months and I feel for you it was agony! I went to dr and got told just to use daktarin before and after feeds (was told it was fine for bub to have) and treated him with something over the counter (but can't remember what it was sorry!)
    I know it was very sore and I contemplated going cold turkey and not feeding that's how bad it got!
    Also my child health nurse said they were doing research into copha helping ( do you know the stuff you make krispies with?) freeze small nipple sized squares and apply after feeds. I did this and it was super easing on them.
    Sorry I am not too much help but I hope it clears up soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you're going through this, nipple thrush was the most painful thing I went through in my whole baby journey

I also used Daktarin, the gel is safe for babies, other forms may not be? It didn't work for me however and my GP was not helpful. I was in so much pain that I took an oral treatment. Diflucin (sp) One thrush treatment one tab every second day for 3 treatments. This worked but not until the 3rd treatment unfortunately. I also had to take Nurofen before feeds otherwise I couldn't even stand to latch bubs on.

Also I washed everything that I or bubs had used and then only used towels, sheets etc once and would wash again.

I found this link helpful, http://www.thewomens.org.au/ThrushinLactation.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Daktarin oral gel is safe for bubs even though it says 6 months plus. Both chemist n midwife said it was changed to 6 months plus to cover the company after a small child died when the parent put half a tube in their mouth!
    Anywho, I'm going through the same thing at the moment and I use lansinoh on my nipples after a feed (for cracked nipples) as well as the daktarin and it has helped. You don't need to wash the daktarin off either as it's safe for bub n also helps them too. I was told if the nilstat (see below) didn't work then daktarin for bub would be the next step anyway. Refridgeable gel breast pads also feel great after a feed.
    As for bubs Nilstat is what you can give them (get it from a chemist) and you give them 1ml 4 times a day after feeding and my bubs cleared up in about 3 days.
    You probs don't even need to go to the docs, just ask at the chemist, but by all means if you feel like you should go then go (I just try to avoid docs so always ask the chemist first lol)
    Oh and also steralise everything as often as you can to stop it hanging around, and if you are wearing breast pads change them often as the warm n moist area will help it breed.
    Let us know how you go hope it clears up, I know how much it hurts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is on Nilstat for oral thrush, and I have a nilstat cream for my nipples. Ask your doctor about it.