+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default my reflux baby

well, i noticed my baby had reflux issues when he was 4 weeks old, went to healthcare nurse and was told that i was overfeeding. Ok then 2 weeks later it got worse, he would'nt stay on the breast more than 5 to 8 minutes, or couldn't even finish 60mls of formula. we went to the GP and he seemed really concerned and gave us a referral to the children's hospital. But things were getting worse so we called the GP two days later and he adviced us to go to the emergency to have a quick assessment. Well, we came back with reassurance, because he was gaining weight despite getting little milk or being really uncomfortable. 4 days later went there again for review, again been sent home cause he was at least gaining weight... He was gaining weight, but much less than we expected and as our GP concerned, he dropped from 90% percentile at birth to 50%. This week, we went to GP again desparately, he also wondered why hospital would do nothing for our bub. He suggested us to try Mylanta for one week. It was been 4 days since we used mylanta and thankfully he would want more after getting 60mls of formula and stay on breast as long as he want. But i am little bit concerned about Mylanta cause it has Alumnium in it. Our Gp asked us come back next week, hope he could suggest us other medications cause i dont want to see my baby in pain again.Could a Gp prescribe medications like Zantac or Losec? or we must see a Pead? i am sure the hospital staffs are peads, so i dont want to go to there again....
    Last edited by risen; 29-01-2012 at 17:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never heard of giving mylanta to a baby.. DD2 had reflux and the GP prescribed Zantac and when that didn't work another GP prescribed losec(which also didn't work) but your GP can definitely prescribe something for bub.. I ended up putting DD on Karicare AR formula worked great but Karicare also make a thickner to put in expressed breast milk perhaps try that???

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

risen  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your suggestion, we have tried Karicare food thickener and S26 AR formula but we didn't see our bub get better. Hope Gp could prescribe something else next time we go there...He said we couldn't use Mylanta for long perioids and i dont want that too...
    Last edited by risen; 29-01-2012 at 18:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GP's can prescribe all the meds. Mylanta is safe for babies. Our paed gastroenterologist recommends it for his patients. If your baby is that bad get zantac or losec Zantac is easier as it comes in a liquid suspension already. Losec is a tablet that you dissolve first. Unless you have a compounding pharmacy close by. There are a heap of things you can do to relieve it. Thicker formula is great. Smaller feeds more often. Keep baby elevated - never flat. Drugs!! The best thing I did was took mine to a chiro. Worked wonders. Didnt cure him bit did give him a lot of relief. It's a really hard and horrible thing for babies to have. They don't always grow out of it. You just have to the best you can. Lots of cuddles. All 3 of mine had/ have reflux. No 3 is the worst. Good luck with it. You are doing really well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

risen  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds started on infant gaviscon which is pretty much the same, since it is working they sound have no real reason not to try Zantac or losec as mylanta and gaviscon are no good for long term use. You may have to keep up half the amount of mylanta in the first couple of weeks when starting Zantac as it takes a little while to take full affect

Yep, it's another iPhone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NowWhoWantsPie? For This Useful Post:

risen  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mylanta & Gavascon are antacids, they stop the acid burn for a short while but dont stop the production.

Losec, Zantac & Zoton reduce the rate of acid production which cause the pain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

risen  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why can't your gp prescribe it? You don't need a paed to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP seemed concerned about prescribing bub any medicine. I did asked GP if there was any medication when i first mentioned him my baby's reflux issue and before going to the hospital. He said hospital would do it......I think now he has no reason not to give medication to my bub...

Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Why can't your gp prescribe it? You don't need a paed to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope bub feels better soon. There is nothing worse then reflux, been there done that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    here is some info on reflux and breastfeeding

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...%93baby/reflux