+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default soooo.... America :)

so I've finally decides the past week that I am going to go to America in June/July and be an au pair and in so excited I tossed up the what about last semester of Uni, what about work, this and that and finally realized hey! you just have to do it and I'm soo excited
    I want to do it now when I'm not tied down, no partner etc and I'm only 20!
    so tell me what you love about America ( if you've been) don't know where I'l be placed yet but it will most likely be in the suburbs of a major city
    I also get 2 weeks paid vacation then a month to travel so wanna know what's on my have to go list!!
    so far I wanna see seatlle, San Fran, LA, new York ( will see this at start of trip as we all fly in there), Texas, las Vegas where else ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    congratulation! wish i had taken a year off uni and travelled, but do so now with hubby and 2 kids!
    my family is american (la, california) so you must do disneyland at the original anaheim location. san fran is gorgeous and berkley is where a lot of the peace movement/hippies were based. try to get to portland if you are into music (triple j, indi, punk etc) or go south to san diego and cross into mexico for a real adventure.
    eastern coast get to maine (gorgeous fall leaves, scenery) or go up to niagara falls on the canadian border. or travel down the coast to the hampdens, new york etc.
    dallas is great fun, anywhere around texas you will get awesome food, bbq etc. miami is a riot, party town and great for a bit of rubbed off cuban culture. or go the traditional french quarter in new orleans.
    if you are a sci fi nut try new mexico, roswell, area 51 for something different.
    midwest is nice too - really casual and great homestyle mid town america. or aspen for the snow.
    try to get into the holidays - halloween is beyond a doubt soooo much fun, especially around la with yard haunts or salem. thanksgiving and july 4th are fun too.
    have a ball!!!!!!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    wow so Many great suggestions pity I won't get to all but many I'd love todo. already been to disneyland twice ( when I was 3 and 12) but of course would love to go again haha

I'm so excited and can't wait til June- get todo a job I love ( nannying) whilst being in a new and exciting place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I au paired in America - best experience if my life!! Still talk to my family all the time almost 8 years later!! I was an east coaster and spent sooo much time in NYC!! Loved it!! Boston is also a must!!
    Niagra falls too!!!

You will have a blast!!!

I did a trek America tour for my holidays and it was amazing!! Florida and the deep south!!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chicken and eggs mum For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks heap all this talk is makin me so excited and impatient hahaha just wanna go now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    if you only have 6 weeks you might want to pick a few places and really enjoy them rather than spending all your time travelling...! I am a big DC/NYC/Boston fan so would head there for sure. How exciting! Good luck with it all

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

EmPowering  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks foe the tips yeah I'd rather find some good places to go and spend more time at those so love the suggestions on here

I'm petrified of drivin over there! other side of the road scared the poops out of me haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Driving was actually ok. But the public transport system is amazing - you can get pretty much anywhere on public transport!!

I drove when I was actually working but on holidays took tours or uses public transport.

Let us know when you find out where you are going and we can help you plan your trips!!

My family were awesome and every second week I had Monday off. So would take long weekend trips from Friday night when I finished to Monday night. Lots of stuff you can do in that many days!!

Can't wait to hear all about it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah America is huge. It takes a while to get places, so I think you should enjoy the time you have. I had 2 weeks in New York City and it wasn't enough. Although I went to Toronto for 2 days from there and Boston too.

I want to go back and do a road trip. I drove up the 101 from Los Angeles to San Francisco and stayed with family in San Luis Obispo and did 'small town America' from there. And you'll never eat better Mexican food anywhere else!

Personally, unless you're a gambler, Vegas is totally overrated. I hated it. There are more pokie machines at The Star in Sydney than in all of Las Vegas too - fun fact for the day!

I think decide to do East or West Coast and do them well.

East Coast you have NYC, Boston, Washington DC, can go up to Canada to see Niagara Falls, it'll be Summer so you can go to the Hamptons in NJ and check out the beach if you want.

West Coast you have Seattle, LA and SF (which is COLD in Summer - I was wearing my winter clothes!) and you could also do Grand Canyon/Yellowstone/Mt Rainier if you wanted to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chicken and eggs- yeah I'm happy to Use public transport but will haveto drive whilst working depending on if kids need to be picked up/ dropped off at school etc

and I will defibibtly come back when I know where my host family is will find that in next month or 2.