+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried about DH's thoughts on labor and birth...

My DH is a hard worker and always does everything he can for people. He's kind and generous and has great morals on nearly all subjects!! ....

however... after we decided to start trying for a baby, he made a few comments about pregnancy, labor and birth being "easy"... "women for millions of years have given birth, it's what your bodies are built for, there's women who work in the fields and give birth one day and go back to work the next..." obviously i was mad about this, it was like a "so just suck it up and spit it out" kinda thing...

my DS is 10yrs old (to a different dad and I was only 17yrs old at the time) and i had the easiest labor and birth, a great epidural, not an ounce of pain and didn't need stiches etc... so i'm freaked out about this time... DH is 37 and doesn't have any kids, but is so excited about finally having a baby and he'll be an awesome dad!! but i try and talk to him about the birth, that i'm freaked out and scared about it and i'm worried about the pain this time etc.... he says he understands, but he still makes light of the subject, but says he's not... I just can't believe that a huge thing like this he can make light of and say it's no big deal...

I'm not sure what to do to make him care and support me a bit more... and make him realise that labor and birth is not a walk in the park... I get so mad and we end up in a fight... I'm going to do the antenatal classes this time only because I think it might help him change his thoughts on the subject...

Has anyone elses partners acted like this? did they change their thoughts and act differently when the time required it?

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. My DH wasn't much support with the birth labour thing...He laughed at me in pain and was cracking jokes and tying me to the bed by my gown. He does that when hes nervous too though.

In fact it's worse now because i'm not a loud person and instead of screaming my lungs out I kind of just took it in myself and was very quiet and still during contractions. Now he thinks it was super easy and not very painful, so i will be a breeze for me this time.

I remember it being the most excruciating experience of my life.. I've never forgotten it, I am petrified again.
    I have tried to make him understand and be more sympathetic... but hes who he is and without actually going through labour himself I think he just will never understand or comprehend. Silly men.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP would say the exact things yours does - have been doing it for hundreds of years, can't be that bad if ppl go back for round two etc.

I think it was a few things:
    A) guys genuinely have no idea how hard birth is until they see it
    B) guys just want to make you feel better, and their way of doing it is to use logic
    C) they are telling you all the reasons they have figured out to make *themselves* feel better - if they really thought about you going through that, they would freak themselves out.

DP ended up being amazing during my 5 day labour marathon, my absolute rock :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my DH was like this I'd be getting him to read some of the birth stories on BH!! I know theres some shocking stories . Maybe then he will realize not everyone just pushes a baby out and goes to work the next day!
    I think on the day once you are screaming in labour he will be very supportive of you if he normally is when your not preg. I had to go to the the labour ward for monitoring alot during my last pregnancy and so DH and I heard lots of babies being born... DH was horrified lol he never once said anything bout millions of women do this every day you will be fine.. Was more along the lines of holy crap I'm glad it you not me I couldn't do it!!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by changethestars View Post
    A) guys genuinely have no idea how hard birth is until they see it
    B) guys just want to make you feel better, and their way of doing it is to use logic
    C) they are telling you all the reasons they have figured out to make *themselves* feel better - if they really thought about you going through that, they would freak themselves out.
    I agree with that. They have no idea at all what it is like to be pregnant or give birth. My DH was understanding, but when I was pregnant with DS and ever said I was tired in front of the FIL, I would get told that a lot of women have it worse than me and that kind of thing. Which used to p!ss me off as I was 30 odd weeks, tired, was working 9-10 hour days with an hours travel on top of that and just felt like I wasn't allowed to be tired in his eyes! Funnily enough he was a lot more sympathetic when it was HIS DD who was pregnant and tired

Perhaps you could get your DH to watch a birth video? One that shows him exactly what happens? Or ask him how he thinks pushing something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a ping-pong ball (love Murphy Brown!!) is "easy".

It might be rewarding to get that little baby at the end, but it's certainly not easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    My DH is a hard worker and always does everything he can for people. He's kind and generous and has great morals on nearly all subjects!! ....
    I think if you have a generous, helpful man with great morals then you need not worry. Your DH MAY think he's being supportive by trying to remain upbeat and positive about the whole thing. It would be a common reaction from a man who likes to help others and 'fix' things. You might find that the more you try to tell him your fears or relay horror stories, the more he will try to play it down. If he sees that you are anxious then he will not want to add his own fears to the mix. So, if I was you I wouldn't try to hard to try and change his mind.

Like the others have said, once you go into labour and he's confronted of the reality of not only your birth experience but those of the other women in the rooms around you, things will most likely be very different. I don't think he will be able to witness the blood, the pushing etc, etc without being able to have anything but a huge amount of respect for the woman going through all of this so that his baby dreams can come true. I'm sure he will be very proud of you and probably completely exhausted from the experience himself

Best of luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I finally got to hospital, there was a lady in the room next door *screaming* giving birth to breech twins. DP goes "suddenly I have a whole new appreciation of what she is going through!"

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am worried about similar things - so I've asked dh to do beer and bubs (google it) instead of antenatal classes, he said no at first but I said its only two hours and it would mean a lot to me, so he is going along, it's for men only and looks really good in my opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ask how it might feel to pass a whole watermelon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE_MrD View Post
    I am worried about similar things - so I've asked dh to do beer and bubs (google it) instead of antenatal classes, he said no at first but I said its only two hours and it would mean a lot to me, so he is going along, it's for men only and looks really good in my opinion!
    I've heard of the Beer and Bubs class, It does look good. Yeah I think that's a good idea. It's a mans perspective.