+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paid Parental leave verus the baby bonus... advice needed please :-)

Hi everyone, I am currently pregnant with bub number two, due in late june and have been figuring out whether to apply for the baby bonus or the paid parental leave.

I've spoken to Centrelink twice now and on both occassions got told different things.

I'm recently married with a 3 year old from a pervious relationship whom I get child support for. I only work part time 2/3 days a week between 15-25 hours. My husband is not a high income earner either. At the moment I am entitled to Family Tax Benefit A and rent assistance and an the odd occassion where neither of us work many hours I get the paid partner allowance.

Do you still get Family Tax A if you claim the paid parental leave?

I know the paid parental scheme only goes for 18 weeks but is roughly $9000 in total and the baby bonus is $5500 over 6 months..

Please don't think I'm sounding ungratful I'll be lucky to receive either, just trying to budget now and plan ahead for whats in the best interest of myself and my family.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated.

P.S- I've tried the online estimator and it told me the baby bonus will have me $147 infront but when talking on the phone to Centrelink the lady assurred me it would be in my best interest to claim the paid parental leave??? SO CONFUSED

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure u get family A but not B if u get ppl. Baby bonus u get A n B

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't forget you get taxed on PPL.... So it's not always a lot more then the BB. No idea about FTB as we won't get either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my understanding is you will still get family tax A not family tax B whilst receiving PPL. it is taxable so you will receive around $500 week. if your partner doesnt earn much you will still be entitled to partnered parenting payment. depending on when you go back to work when tax time comes round you may even get most of the tax back that you paid out of your PPL.

the major difference i found between PPL and the baby bonus is that you can work and still receive baby bonus but you cant work while receiving PPL so maybe you should factor that in too.

I got this info from lots of research and talking to several different people at centrelink. when PPL was first introduced no one could answer any questions i was thinking bout #2 then and wanted more info. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up taking the BB because if I took ppl then after it stopped my other payments (a&b etc) would go down as my income for that year would be $10,000 higher. I also found it SO confusing talking to centrelink about which one I should take!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    pts a and b are based on your income during the whole year, so you would have to project your income. I don't think ppl changes this but I need to check.

If your baby is born in june 12, and you don't intend to rtw for the 12/13 financial year, then you would get pts a and b as that wouldn't put you over threshold.

Whereas my son is due in September, and I will work up to dd, then have 6 months off incl ppl then rtw. So I won't be eligible for pt b, and will just get a small anount of pt a.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It states on the centerlink web site that u don't get family B while getting ppl. Once ppl stops then u will get it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are calculators on the Centrelink website which might be helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it seems everytime i use the online estimators i get a different answer though lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that happened to me too and I couldn't work out what I had done differently!