+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I included this in a post a week or so ago. It's part of the democratic process and your right in our democracy to ensure that the process is above board. No reason needs be given. They CAN'T not give it to you.

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Yes. Like the White Pages ...

An interesting sorta thread after a nite like tonite ...
    Wow, what did I miss?

Yes, I did know that. My friend had to be put on as silent when her xh worked in community corrections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep I knew this as I often refer clients to it when we need an address for the other party. If the address is not listed or is old it is one way of proving to a court that you have tried to locate someone to serve court papers on them.

Most of my clients have no idea that the electoral roll is open to public inspection no reason required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, I know that. Only found out last year. Wish I knew earlier.
    Sucks to be my parents who paid a PI who probably just looked at the electoral role to get our address. LOL.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    No they don't ask why. Dh was shocked when he walked in and got his ex address. He didn't believe me that AEC would let him look.
    I'm honestly surprised, surely that breaches some privacy rules somewhere - I've heard it mentioned on bubhub before.

Doesn't make much sense that to do a roll check online you need to HAVE first, last names and address to check information - but in the office you need nothing???
    so realistically - you could go into the AEC .. get the address from the roll - then log on ... with name and address and edit if you wanted to???

seems to be a bit of a flaw in the system??
    Last edited by Veve; 28-01-2012 at 23:52. Reason: makes more sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    I'm honestly surprised, surely that breaches some privacy rules somewhere - I've heard it mentioned on bubhub before.

Doesn't make much sense that to do a roll check online you need to HAVE first, last names and address to check information - but in the office you need nothing???
    so realistically - you could go into the AEC .. get the address from the roll - then log on ... with name and address and edit if you wanted to???

seems to be a bit of a flaw in the system??
    You can view it because they make it 'transparent' to prove that it's legit.

Eta: http://www.aec.gov.au/enrolling_to_vote/about_electoral_roll/how_to_view_electoral_roll.htm
    Last edited by Guest1234; 28-01-2012 at 23:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't know that.
    Not that I personally have any issues with people having my address, but surely that's a breach of privacy to allow *anyone* to just waltz in and ask for Joe Blogg's address....that could cause huge issues...

** sent from my iPhone cos I'm too lazy to use the computer **

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    You can view it because they make it 'transparent' to prove that it's legit.
    I understand WHY .. I just think that there would have to be a better way to do it .. have a board of authorities who check it or something ... or at LEAST get ID from people who ask to see it, so there is some kind of record of who checked what.

Id theft is a reality - and it happens a LOT .. so it surprises me that something this OBVIOUS is still happening??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

laurea  (03-02-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No-one can view mine. I'm a silent elector, due to my last job (in corrections).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I purposely never enroll at my current address for that very reason. I have 4 different people i never want knowing my where abouts. From what i've been told its very difficult to get on the silent roll. Apparently DV isn't considered a good enough reason unless you can prove it was quite severe.
    I have been fined twice as a result of not changing my address but i've got out of both of them wtih a stat dec.
    I think there is a QLD election coming up? So i will get fined again but should have no trouble getting out of that one with a stat dec.