+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sort of spin off: what age For social Internet?

So after reading the thread about cyber bullying, it got me thinking.

How can I protect "my child" from cyber bullying. Easy... Don't allow the use of the Internet. Yet here I am on a social site. So I then realized I can't be hypocritical. It's inevitable that my child/ren will be accessing the net at some stage of their life while they still live at home.

So my question is... What age will you allow your child/ren to have access to:

An email address of their own.
    A Facebook account of their own
    Infact a mobile of their own (as bullying occurs threw text aswell)

I am very interested to know. Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She has an email address, but it's a school one. Only the teacher can email. They are closely supervised. I think 16 for sites like twitter, myspace, facebook, msn, forums such as this. I think 13 for specific forums, like the one for people with Coeliac Disease, they have an area for teens, and I have no problem with what I see on there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had that discussion. We bought a mobile phone for DSS ( 12) for christmas as he is starting high school this year and the school is a fair distance so we thought he needed that for buses etc. We also bought all the kids a laptop for christmas and we have allowed DSS to open a email and facebook just today but there are some few condtions which are:
    *we must know his user name and password - we set up his account so we know this
    * we are his friends on facebook - not to interact to but see what goes on his wall etc. -
    * He is NOT under any circumstances to give out personal info - he is under his first and middle name - different birthday and we have blocked his mum and sister ( long long story)
    * Any sign of bullying from him - his friends or he participating in his friend anticts the privildge will be taken away from him IMMEDIATLY - harsh i dont think so. THere needs to be boundaries i think...

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Around 14/15

Thanks
    Reviews
    Facebook - I think teen/highschool.
    I added an old student last year on fb she added me and I was already fb friends with her mum so I felt I couldn't say no. Anyway when I put it the right context I think it's weird. I'm was her preschool teacher, she was in year 3 and was 8.

Email probably younger maybe primary school. I had pen pals at that age and emails are letters after all

Mobile - highschool. This spins me out actually. Mobile exploded the year I was in year 12 (nokia 5110s) but only a few of our class had them and no lower years really. I got mine a few months after finishing yr 12. When best friend and I were younger say 14/15 if we went out we used to take her dads work mobile so we could call him to pick us up. That's all. Id want dd to have one for that reason to call us when needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have no idea, but not for a while yet. She's turning 7 this year.

She doesn't use the internet often anyway - mostly for playing games on teh ABC Kids/Barbie/et al. websites. She has a facebook account in her name, but it is under MY control. She has no access to it and won't for a long time.

I will have access to these things too - or else sorry, nope, not for you.

I was showing my tits on webcam when I was 15. There is no way she is having a computer in her room for that very reason, and certainly why she won't be allowed to use the internet when an adult is not home. I have no doubt she might still do some stupid stuff online, but I won't be letting it happen easily.

She can have access to a mobile phone when she goes out on her own... so whatever age that is. The phone will be returned to me when she returns home. SHe can have a "social" mobile phone when she can pay for it herself. It will not be on a plan, but pre-paid.

Mostly, I plan to be a bit of a hard-a*se and strict. I hope she will find entertainment elsewhere in life rather than spending endless amounts of time online (yes, I am a hypocrite, but I wish more for my daughter).

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    After hearing a little story about my 14 year old step-brother today, it will be quite some time yet. I'm thinking 16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Facebook has a minimum age of 13 to be allowed an account according to their terms and conditions. It always amazes me when friends create Facebook accounts for their kids when they aren't old enough... I have told my kids they can have Facebook when they are 13, but only on the condition that I have full access to the account so I can see what is going on. My kids are allowed now to have accounts for games like moshi monsters and poptropica etc, but their internet access is always monitored by me. They have no need for mobiles.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd liked Farmville, but only played it on my account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Email address from any age they understand and request it, however it will most definitely be monitored. Until such time I/we don't think it's necessary any more.

Facebook, never if I can help it! We, the parents, don't use Facebook. I don't personally understand the appeal, it's just a huge data-collector designed to plug you in to customized advertisements... no thanks. I actually sit down and write letters to far-away friends & rellies (sooo early 90's), print out photos to send (that they can then keep forever, without them being imprinted on the all seeing Internets!) and sometimes even talk to people in person. It's antiquated, I know, but I dig it.

Mobile phone... haven't really considered this one, we live rurally and have little use for a mobile, as coverage is sparse. However for safety's sake I'd consider having a mobile with no credit so that I can phone them, they can't phone out. Can you still make reverse calls from a mobie? If so, then that's that.

I wonder if all this makes me sound like a big weirdo? I just think kids are exposed to too many things they can't hope to understand... 10 year olds on youtube being called insulting names... little girls "pimping" themselves in Facebook piccies... *shudder!* my own childhood seems so innocent in comparison.