+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Am I a bad friend, or did she go a bit far?

My friend told me very excitedly that her son's photo won a big competition in a local weekly newspaper. I was very happy for her until she told me how they had won.

For 8 weeks long there were coupons in the paper that people had to use to cast their vote. She asked all her friends and family to save the coupons and give them to her. Fair enough. I would probably do the same.Reason
    She then went past all the news agencies and shops in all 3 shopping centers to ask for their leftover papers. Ok, I wouldn't be that keen to win, but kudos to her.
    However, she would also leave her house at 5.30am and go around all the streets pinching newspapers out of letter boxes. Her hubby watched over their son while she was doing this.
    This is something I find she really shouldn't have done. I already rang the newspaper office a few times asking why I wasn't getting a paper anymore. Mind you, this is a free paper.
    Now she's telling everyone who is willing to listen, about how proud she is of her son winning the competition. I then said: 'I am happy you won. It couldn't have happened to a nicer person. BUT did he/you REALLY win though?'
    She got very angry with me for saying this, and asked me why I had to be such a lousy fried and why I couldn't just be happy for her?
    Well, simply because she cheated. (I know every one does, but she took it too far in my opinion.)
    It's people like her that stop me from entering competitions like this. I can't do what she did. I'm a single mum and couldn't go out in the early morning stealing newspapers. I couldn't steal even if I could go out with someone babysitting my child.
    Sure, I would get family and friends to vote, but that's as far as I morally could go.

So yeah, is she right? Should I just praise her and say 'Wow! That's awesome! Well done. Your child is very blessed to have such an errrr determined mummy' regardless of her stealing newspapers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree - I think she went a little too far. And what lesson does this teach her son? Success at any cost? Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to steal something that somone else has been given for free? But perhaps not to steal something that a person has purchased?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    TBH as much as I would think it, I wouldn't say what you said to a friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She stole for her own personal gain? There's nothing 'awesome' about that. Kudos for her dedication but under those circumstances she didn't really 'win' anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's odd that she's so proud of it. He didn't win, he just had a mother who went to strange and inappropriate lengths. I'm with you on this one - she took it too far beyond the spirit of the competition, esp if it was being run by a free newspaper. Surely they run a competition like that to increase readership?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (29-01-2012),DaughteroftheForest  (29-01-2012),jessesgirl  (28-01-2012),Super Trooper  (28-01-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-01-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i think those competitions are stupid. I would say what you said and more if it were one of my friends. And er, it could have happened to a nicer person. Like maybe one who didn't go around stealing from people??

Thanks
    Reviews
    ...isn't that 'cheating'? (as opposed to 'winning')

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asking family and friends for the coupons ok, asking for left over papers ok, but stealing from other that is going too far and not setting a good example.

I'd honestly contact the paper and tell them of this, she denied others the chance at entering their kids

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (28-01-2012),chameleon  (29-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (29-01-2012),nelle7250  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah she went too far, no her son did not really win, and yeah I would say what you said to a friend. Friendships are about being open and honest, morally questionable acts and/or different points of view should be open for discussion. If all you ever offer is praise then its not a real friendship in my books, it's an acquaintanceship.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get how his photo won with couponds that she stole? Did you nee them to vote for the best picture? If yes, she cheated. I don't think that you're a lousy friend for pointing that out.