+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Anyone else struggle with exhaustion?? :-(

Hi

I know it might be a 'yeah, of course!' kind of question, but I am really over waking up feeling exhausted, dragging myself through the day, getting ratty with my 4 year old at night time especially when she won't sleep...I feel heavy, like I have no life left in me. I struggle to get things done. It limits what I do with my daughter (Maya) - outings etc. I feel like bawling and like I need someone to prop me up!

There are a few factors - I have a mental health issue and take medication and I'm from the UK with no family here, and not many friends/support, but I can't believe I'm the only one in that situation and from what I hear, plenty of single parents are, and manage ok, although I wonder if that contributes.

I only know one other single mum and she's recently separated. I feel largely mis understood by friends and acquaintances who JUST DON'T GET IT (I am sick of being told 'I feel like a single Mum' cos hubby works long hours etc.

I don't MIND being a single parent, but I DO mind feeling like noone understands, there's noone around who 'gets it' and this Godawful feeling that all the life has been sucked out of me.

Help please!!!

Thank you for your replies... any reply will feel like a hand reaching out.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    (not a single parent .. but suggesting a medical possibility)

have you had your thyroid checked??? if your thyroid is being under active ... you will have no metabolism, and will be tired ALL the time ..

its common in women .. and easily checked with a blood test

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to send you lots of hugs xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymay For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    have done the single thing what saved me was creche

otherwise occasional care make yourself a priority and get some rest

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    (not single parent sorry for crashing) Hugs hugs hugs. I have no real advice apart from what veve suggested. But I couldn't read and not give you hugs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry, I'm crashing too, but I had to post because I've been going through the same level of exhaustion as what you are describing too.

Definitely go and see your doctor, because it's not normal to feel as tired as you are right now. It kind of creeps up on you, and you probably expect to feel quite tired with a 4 yr old to care for on your own, but you shouldn't be quite as tired as you are (in my opinion).

In my case, I eventually started getting some neurological symptoms as well, and have now been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Have you got someone who can give you a bit of a break for a while? Can you afford to put your 4 year old in some sort of care to give you a break?

I feel so much for you because I really do understand what's it like to be just.so.tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi.. sending you a pm if you want to friend on fb

I'm also originally from the UK.. divorced with 3 kids (2, 4, 7).. and feel exactly the same a lot of the time. In fact I started having serious dizzy spells over a year ago.. had a heap of tests done and they reckon it's exhaustion. They gave me valium prescription and since them never looked back.. literally the next day I felt better. I'm a student teacher as well (study part time but about to graduate in June) but they said it was pretty much exhaustion from looking after 3 kids and studying I wasn't getting a 'deep' sleep. Also what you descripe sounds very much like depression to me as I've suffered from that before.. I suffer from situational depression from time to time (any wonder what I have to deal with/ex has huge problems and rarely sees his kids).

anyway just wanted to say a) you're not alone and b) fb me.. always looking for new expat friends

12. The Following User Says Thank You to murrythecat For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Hi, i'm much the same. I have been extremely exhausted for some time now. At first i put it down to working long hours and when i stopped i thought my body just needed sometime to adjust and i would start feeling better. I never did. Some days its so bad i do nothing more then lie on the couch drifting in and out of sleep. I'm tired from the moment i wake up. It's bloody hard.
    I went to the doctor, i thought my iron levels may have been out of whack or similar. I had a blood test for that but it all came back normal. The doctor put it down to stress. I wasn't as convinced. Turns out i have high blood sugar levels which can apparently cause tiredness. My blood sugar levels aren't getting any better so i have to go have a diabetes test and PCOS test (apparently the blood sugar levels could be an indicator to both).
    So i agree with others. It might be time to head of to the doctors. They may be a medical reason why you are feeling the way you do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This week it really hit me hard. I also have had that heavy feeling for the last.few days. Like everything has caught up and now I have nothing left. I'm tired of having to constantly be 1 on 1 (an only child thing, not necessarily a single parent thing)and constantly doing all the housework and constantly doing everything in the yard, doing all the school stuff. Yesterday it was whinge whinge whinge from my 8 year old. Yep, I get you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LizMaya. I don't have any advice that hasn't already been said but really wanted to give you a virtual hug.

I found the first couple of years really exhausting with each of my children but could identify some of that as lack of sleep. Even now when I look at how much sleep I get it's usually around 7 hours a day which is over an hour less than recommended and even as much as two hours less if you listen to holistic health carers. I find stress and sleepless kids contribute to this and even when I do get an early night I can't relax enough to go off to sleep for hours!

Not that any of my experiences help you, but you sound like you aren't able to get enough sleep which makes a really big difference in the long-term.

PM me if you'd like to make another online friend Sometimes not being totally alone is a big positive when life sux

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Willow For This Useful Post:

LizMaya  (29-01-2012)