+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Phlebotomist/Sterilisation Assistant/Wards-person

Wondering if there are any phlebotomist on the hub and/or if there are any hubbers who are currently studying a phlebotomist course?

I'm wanting to do this but am wondering which is the best way to go about it... I know the Mater (brisbane) has a course - I think it is very well respected but it is $3400 I think. Ouch! I wonder if there is any assistance offered for this course?

I think South Bank Tafe offers the Cert III in Pathology too and its a little cheaper. Not sure which course has the best employment prospects?

Ideally I would get a position where I could learn on the job I guess. I know Sullivan Nicholaides does this. Any know how to come across a opportunity like this?

Can anyone who is a phlebotomist or has worked as one previously tell me about their job and if they enjoyed it, were the hours flexible, was the pay ok?

Also is anyone knows anything about becoming a Sterilisation Assistant or how to become a wards person in a hospital, I'd love to hear from you too.

Ultimate dream is to be a midwife but it's going to take a bit of time to get to the end of the study and I need a job in the meantime. I'd like said job to be in a related field (healthcare industry).

Hope to hear from some hubbers in the know - TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been a phlebotomist for 6yrs. My training was a little different as I was a medic in the navy for 4 yrs prior to becoming a phleb so did all my training on the job and got the cert 3 in pathology collection when I discharged. So I have 10yrs experience all up.

Here in WA it's not essential that you have prior experience to get a job. The 2 companies I have worked for have given jobs to untrained people and trained them on the job although I do think it is a lot easier to get a job with at least a training course under your belt.

Try your major public hospitals they may offer training courses. Royal Perth hosp here offers a 6 week course.

In regards to the job I love it. I get to talk to peoole all day and if its not busy i getri read or do what ever i want! I also love that when I finish dor the day i leave work at work and it doesnt follow me home.

I have just returned to work after having 1.5 yrs of and am working 5 half days a week so 8am till 1230. Most centres are open from 8 - 5 some of the busier one may open or close later.

I also used to do home visits as well so driving to people's houses who are not able to come into rooms to take there blood but can't sing that anymore as it doesn't fit into my life ATM having 3 kids.

Pays pretty average! I think we should be paid way more than we are! Currently it ranges from $19-$21 an hr. it could be better! Just depends which company you work for and how long you have worked for them.

Um that's all I can think of ATM but if you want to know anything else fell free to PM me.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoda View Post
    Pays pretty average! I think we should be paid way more than we are! Currently it ranges from $19-$21 an hr. it could be better!
    Wow commenting as DH is an crit care nurse amazing how under paid our trained health care professions are you could earn more with a pimple face working at McDonalds
    and not need years of training with a HECS debt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having asked around it would seem the course through the Mater is highly recommended.

I will be studying there hopefully towards the middle of next year and
    I know its expensive, but I need to be certain that any potential employers are happy with my qualifications as I really need to get back into the workforce

I did ask at Sullivan Nicolaides about paid training and the Path asst. told me it would be much quicker to do the course. She also said the teachers and facilities are fantastic. I'll be making sure I go have a look through before I start!

Oh i'm also doing this until I can study midwifery! Just need to wait for the littlies to start school and get some savings behind me so I can actually afford my textbooks etc!

Oh and also she said she was comfortable on her wage and was paying off a mortgage with her husband..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, this is exactly the info I was hoping to hear. It does sound like the Mater hospital course is the best way to go then. I'm am just so worried I'll do the course and then still find myself in the same position looking for a job with no luck. That scares the life outa me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping in case there are others with experiences to share TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you mean about the cost, especially as the cost is upfront.

You could give Mater a call and ask to have a look around? That way you can get a feel for the place and what the teachers are like

With the whole job prospect thing I am nervous, but i'm counting on good training to give me the confidence I need and as a result it'll show in an interview,lol.