+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DS is hurting me!

DS just turned 1. He has 8 teeth. The last few weeks BFing has been so painful. Not only does he regularly bite me, he also pushes on my boobs and pulls his head back while he's feeding, pulling my nipple. And bangs on my chest with his fist, or pinches my boobs between his fingers. Seriously my nipples are so sore!

Is this normal? Could my supply be dropping? I've dropped to 2 feeds a day and have one or two glasses of wine after he goes to bed so not sure if that could cause my supply to reduce.

I'm planning on feeding him for another 6 months as we are going to Fiji and I think it would be great to keep feeding him there in case he gets a tummy bug or something, but I'm finding it hard to keep going when feeding is getting so painful!

I used to love feeding DS so much and now it's turning into a horrible experience .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All totally normal! Please for goodness sake these things are normal and not related to supply.

Although some of these things probably just need to be tolerated (I am doing so right now :/) remember you aren't a martyr. Don't let him pinch your nipples - make sure they are covered, by your hand if necessary or a fold of blanket.

If he is banging his head around loads etc, slip a finger down the side of his mouth and break the latch. I find feeding in a lying down position with both mother and baby relaxed will stop a lot of these behaviours. If they still continue, you could consider just stopping the feed.

I'm not sure whether he's old enough to get the message that feeding only happens if he's still, but certainly there's lots of stuff you can do to encourage him to be calm and DONT put up with him hurting you. (I dont mean by telling him or saying no, or whatever - but change positoin, break latch, try again later, work out calm times, etc)

You're doing a great job and feeding through an O/S trip is going to be really useful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes mine did that too at same age :

When my dd2 did it, I would try feed her in a quiet room and say things like 'gentle hands', 'head still for mummy' and feed with a necklace for her to play with. She did cause a small crack at one point and I really played it up each time she fed 'ooooow sore booby' 'gentle it hurts mummy'. This was months ago, but even now before she starts a feed she will point to the side that had the crack and say 'sore?'

It did pass : not sure when but she is nearly 2 now and she doesn't do it anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is nearly 1 and can also be quite rough. Last night he kept putting his hand down my top, grabbing the other nipple and tugging it. It blardy hurt!!!

I really have no advice but wanted you to know you're not alone. I hope it stops soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could've written the first paragraph you wrote word for word (my DS is only 8 months old though). Its good to know that I'm not the only one going through this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    as we are going to Fiji and I think it would be great to keep feeding him there in case he gets a tummy bug or something.
    Fiji is fine just use bottled water if you do go formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes it's a normal stage they go through. I would just take my kids off, tell them no, wait 30 seconds to a minute and try again. I'd pull them off every time they hurt me and they got the picture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Glad to know it's normal and my supply is ok. I'll try taking him off more instead of putting up with it. Hope it passes soon!!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I remember the 12 months mark being horrid with both kids - but it did pass relatively quickly and feeding an 18 month old (2 year old, 3 year old ) was so much more pleasant.

It is TOTALLY okay (and, in fact, necessary) to set boundaries though - Your body is your own and a breastfeeding relationship is just that - a relationship, meaning it has to work for both people involved.