+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Desperately need help with intolerant baby

I'm at my wits end. DS is 8 months old and right from the beginning he has been very colicy and extremely sensitive to what I eat going through the breastmilk. The only things I can eat without him going into fits of pain are meat, fish, chicken, rice, potato, sweet, potato, pumpkin, carrot, corn, avocado, pear, apple and eggs. My daughter was the same although not as extremely reactive to anything artificial and grew out of it by 6 months. But my son is still very sensitive and introducing solids has been a disaster. Rice and pear have been a success but after that we tried sweet potato, pumpkin then avocado all of which has caused a weeks worth of pain and screaming. We've seen an allergist who tested him for allergis but said as far as his intolerances there is nothing I can test him with and it will just be trial and error.
    Is there ANYBODY out there who has been through something similar and/or has any advice? Just feeling very alone right now. The terrible thing is I'd love to have a third baby at some stage but with DS being far more sensitive than DD (and EVERYONE said I couldn't possibly get another intolerant/reactive baby ) I'm terrified the next baby will be even more sensitive than DS
    Help please anyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh honey, I'm so sorry! It's so hard isn't it.

I would suggest booking into to see a paediatric dietician. They can put you and him on an elimination diet which should give you a nice straightforward starting point.

Intolerances are so hard to navigate, I know from experience with my DD1 and myself, but we have finally gotten to the bottom of things, and I'm sure you will too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes because DD was the same in the beginning and I have my own intolerances I've been on an ellimination diet since he was born. It's the reintroduction of new foods that has been a disaster. And I am lucky to know a good pediatrician who has advised us to do what I've already been doing. thanks though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I couldn't help more.

It's fairly promising though that your DD outgrew hers. Hopefully your DS will too.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Following on from STVD answer what about salicylates has anyone tested them for that? ( rice and pear have almost none but this other fruit Nd veg you tried him on do)
    http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...licylates2.htm
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 28-01-2012 at 18:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Following on from STVD answer what about salicylates has anyone tested them for that? ( rice and pear have almost none but this other fruit Nd veg you tried him on do)
    http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in...licylates2.htm

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Potato is very low in salicylates (particularly older potatoes with no peel), if you tried him on that and he was ok it might give you something to go on.