+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    Grating a bar of soap to use as laundry detergent, did the job for clean work clothes haha!
    What a great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Had to use newspaper for toilet paper more times than I could possibly count, or one of the housemates would steal toilet paper from work, public toilets etc.

Cashed in my foreign money collection to get my friend and I train tickets to the city, where we could get free food from the Hare krishnas.

Lived off homebrand noodles (one pack per day... usually for breakfast lol) and half rotten vegetables from the dodgy but cheap grocer, for most of my HSC year.

Used eftpos at coles to buy a 29c half size can of homebrand cola just so I could withdraw the last $3.20 odd to spend at said dodgy grocer.

I have walked some pretty long distances to avoid paying for bus/train fares. 20 odd km home from the city one night was probably the furthest.

Lived with a bunch of other povvo teenagers at a time when I worked at a bakery, so I'd bring home two big black garbage bags of bread and croissants etc on the train after each shift and we all lived off that. If it was a good week we had tomato sauce on the bread.

DF and I traveled in our van for a while and to save money along the way by avoiding paying camping fees in National Parks we would get up at the crack of dawn to pack and leave before the ranger got there.

Hope things are looking up soon OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I've ever been quite that bad. Thankfully. When I have to give up working about April/may we are going to be really broke so I will be stocking up on groceries bit by bit until then. Have been buying quality second hand stuff for this baby as we don't need much but all the savings add up!!! My kids always come first and mummy a very distant second but you make do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asking mil for money to buy a tin of formula! Newborn tins are always $20plus! :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You buy groceries from coles with your Myers gift vouchers

There was a time when I was in uni where I was literally scouring the ground for spare change so that I could buy some bread for dinner. The bread cost $1-something (homebrand), and I didn't even have 5c to my name. I even checked in the bottom of vending machines.

Another time I had to 'borrow' toilet paper from my Mum. I couldn't even afford to buy one of those singular homebrand rolls from woolies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was in year 11 I had just moved out of home. I used to take toilet rolls from college. The cheap 1000 sheet 1 ply ones. One day I knocked my schoolbag over in class and out rolled two toilet rolls. Oh so embarrassed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Borrowing money out a charity tin you collected.
    We of course returned it later but still felt like **** cutting the tin open

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep currently using my Coles myer gift cards that were birthday and Christmas presents to feed us!
    Thank goodness DP finally starts full time work, a steady income will be so nice!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    we've borrowed money off the kids many times before - but I DO make myself pay then 10% interest (borrow $100 .. pay $110 back ) ... its really rough sometimes to make ends meet

I"ve lost track of the number of times that I've used a 'gift' voucher to pay for fuel or groceries .. or bills gift money/ vouchers are rarely used for fun things

broke my heart one day when I was sobbing about money, and my DS1 came up - asked what was wrong (I explained I was stressed about money) and he told me I could have the rest of his birthday money (he had about $10 left .. lol) - I thanked him, but told him to save it for a treat at tuckshop or at the shops for himself. so sweet ..

we're in a better position than we were a few years ago - for quite awhile it really seemed that every time we started SAVING money, something annoying would happen (new tyres needed, or car battery dying etc).

its really scary when you look at the bills and realise you simply can not pay them ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just become unemployed, my car could be written off, I had to buy a new carseat for dd, and now she wants to learn tennis. I have a $20 gift card. Thankfully we have that.