+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At my poorest (long before kids thankfully) i would often have no money at all left once the rent/bills were paid - i reached a point where i had only the bits and pieces from my pantry left to eat (and no money to buy anything else) so i had lentils and rice with various condiments a lot. Once i had to search my flat for lost coins to get something to eat and found just enough for a loaf of bread. I had to pay for it with mostly 10c coins and then live off of that loaf for days.
    A couple times i had to ask others to buy me food - which was hard for me as i hate asking for help.
    I walked everywhere because i couldn't afford to use public transport too much. I walked to the markets every Sunday (for cheap veg) and that took around 1.5 hours one way. To the grocery shop was about 45 mins. To town was about 2 hours walk. To work was about 45mins - i was very fit in those days.
    For a long time i had no couch or tv - only a bed and wardrobe, a few kitchen items, a deck chair and dodgy table in the whole flat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My MIL had no money or food left just before her pay day for her and her 5 children still at home and we had no money to lend her. We pooled the stuff from my cupboard to get us all through, mainly pasta and rice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my fiance (now ex husband) and i drove on our last bit of fuel to coles to buy a $2 pizza (back in the day, on special) with our last $2.09c on our card. Get to the check out and eftpos is down. Didnt have enough to get money out to pay for it, and no cash at all. A lovely lady in line paid for it. So embarassing. We lived on frozen pizzas and tin spaghetti for a long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I break into the kids money boxes too. At the moment I hate when someone wants to come visit as I only have enough food for my little family! I feel so horrible but not many people know how broke we are atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ktfierce For This Useful Post:

laurea  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. Been there. Things are about to get very tight. I'm selling everything worth selling.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    * Not being able to afford a $10 Kmart fan during summer {couldn't afford an aircon}, and the water bill was already overdue, so we snaked the neighbour's hose over the back fence when they were at work and filled up buckets to use as a spongebath, filled the blowup pool we found at the tip and had patched with Reject Shop sticking plasters and sat in that all day to keep cool.

We'd soak towels in the buckets and drape them over our bodies, and leave the windows open at night so the breeze would make it feel cool.

* The worst we ever had it was when we literally could not afford to eat. We had enough for a week's food...for one person. Hubby and I spent the money on a few stock packets and a few kilos of rice. Cooked in stock it seemed like an actual meal. DD, who was a baby at the time, got formula mixed with water to make it last longer.

Thank god we're not in that situation anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Use paper towels as loo paper for a week when living on trainee wages, not the soft paper towels either!!

Grating a bar of soap to use as laundry detergent, did the job for clean work clothes haha!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies. I'm so frustrated with our situation at the moment, and just as we seem to be getting somewhere, something else sees us sliding backwards even further. It just sucks. I can't afford for DD to go to swimming lessons at the moment and that is really weighing on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Thanks Ladies. I'm so frustrated with our situation at the moment, and just as we seem to be getting somewhere, something else sees us sliding backwards even further. It just sucks. I can't afford for DD to go to swimming lessons at the moment and that is really weighing on me.
    I hope things start getting easier for you soon. It really sucks when you're in a rut ad just can't seem to break through and get ahead...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel SPG. Things have been very tight for us for the last 18 months. We only have some breathing space now as got some $$ at Christmas that paid off 80% of the bills we had.

We've also just made a pretty major decision which should hopefully see things ease up for us this year.

Fingers crossed its a good year for everyone struggling.