+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in NSW, on the sunny central coast!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Snacks during labour..

Hi all,

Just wondering what snacks you found to be helpful during labour? Obviously factoring in that you don't want anything to heavy the may cause vomiting etc?

My first labour was 19hrs-and I only drank water and ate a couple of natural confectionary red lollies I was determined not to vomit and more so, just wasn't hungry. However, I recognise that eating a little here and there may have helped give me the extra energy that I needed.

I have also heard they don't encourage eating during labour incase of emergency c-section? And yet I have heard people say thats ridiculous... who knows?! haha

So what worked/didn't work for you?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't eat the first time around, woke up in labour that morning had one bite of jam toast and that was it, gave birth 8 hours later.

Second time I labored for 16 hours and I ate lunch (salad sandwich) at 12pm gave birth at 6pm.

Last time I went into labour at 2:30pm ate dinner at 5pm (homemade fish and chips with salad) had bub at 10:30.

Didnt vomit with any of them drunk water with all of them (the last birth especially) I skulled like 3 pump bottles straight after the birth!

Gloria Lemay writes an interesting article on this and so does Ina May Gaskin basically you wouldn't deny someone running a marathon nourishment so why would you a woman in labour, muscle fatigue and all that jazz...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MflUicM  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried to eat a sandwich but I just couldn't.

I snacked on a muesli bar and also some wonka raspberry twists. I actually spent some time sucking on them rather than chewing. I was in labour for 24 hours and after I gave birth I realized I was starving.... But it was about 9pm by this time and all i got was a bread roll and some crackers lol.

I had let dh eat all the snacks during the day, Woops.

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i didnt eat during labour as i had gestational diabetes but also didnt feel the need to either.
    even not eating i vomitted when i went to see ds in the nursery as i had gas and 2 injections of the stuff to expell the placenta.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, I never cared if I vomitted. I was hungry.

With my first, I had two roast beef and gravy rolls with mustard for dinner and most of my sisters left over easter chocolate around 11pm. I gave birth at 5am and the first thing I asked for was food.

With my second, I was induced by ARM at 8.30am after having breakfast. Dh and I went across the road from the hospital and I had two toasted egg, bacon, cheese and tomato sandwiches for morning tea. In the hospital at lunchtime, they only brought dh the lunch he ordered. I asked where mine was and they said I probably wouldn't want it. I argued that I did and they brought it to me, but told me to only pick at it. I had apricot chicken with mash and green beans, a side salad and a bread roll. I then ate dh's side salad and bread roll and then ate my cake and yogurt. I gave birth at 4.25pm and asked that they make sure my dinner was brought to me when it arrived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    To be honest, I never cared if I vomitted. I was hungry.

With my first, I had two roast beef and gravy rolls with mustard for dinner and most of my sisters left over easter chocolate around 11pm. I gave birth at 5am and the first thing I asked for was food.

With my second, I was induced by ARM at 8.30am after having breakfast. Dh and I went across the road from the hospital and I had two toasted egg, bacon, cheese and tomato sandwiches for morning tea. In the hospital at lunchtime, they only brought dh the lunch he ordered. I asked where mine was and they said I probably wouldn't want it. I argued that I did and they brought it to me, but told me to only pick at it. I had apricot chicken with mash and green beans, a side salad and a bread roll. I then ate dh's side salad and bread roll and then ate my cake and yogurt. I gave birth at 4.25pm and asked that they make sure my dinner was brought to me when it arrived.
    Wow it sounds like you either want nothing or are really hungry

I always thought they didn't let you eat. But I know I'll go crazy if too hungry

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Opinionated that reminds me after I skulled those 3 bottles of water after DDs birth I ate the best peanut butter sandwich ever! After I had DS2 I scoffed bakedbeans on toast and a nice cup of tea

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    They try to not let you. eat, but with my first all my eating was done at home, and with my second, I wasn't going to be pushed around They don't really want to clean up the mess, and told me I would feel terrible if I was sick, but I am one of those people that feels sick if I am too hungry. With my second, I also knew that gas wouldn't make me sick so felt confident to pig out, I knew my body needed the energy.

After my first was born, I ate four sandwiches out of the hospital fridge (provided for patients), 2 dixie cup ice creams, an apple and a cup of tea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder how strict theyll be with me. I'm hoping to vbac this time. It's considered a high risk pregnancy where I might need transfusion after so I'm not sure what they'll want. And I don't what my reaction is to gas or anything lol. But being my 2nd bub I'm more educated this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first, I was induced in the morning and they wouldn't let me eat all day!! DS was born at 6.30 that evening so by the time I had skin on skin contact, got cleaned up and settled, it was after 10 and I was starving!!! I asked the midwives for something to eat and they reluctantly brought me a stale cheese sandwich!! I went home the next morning and DF made me a massive cooked breakfast!!

With DS2 (2 weeks ago!!) I went into labour just before midnight after having chicken stroganoff for tea that night!! By the time I went to the hospital at 4am, my contractions had really ramped up and I vomited said chicken strog everywhere!!! Lol
    I didn't eat throughout the labour, just drank heaps of water and powerade. Ds2 was born just after 8am and my lovely midwife made me toast and a hot Milo while I had skin on skin and fed bubs :-)