+ Reply to Thread
    I live in NSW, on the sunny central coast!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Define: SIDS??

I was reading and earlier post about the thing's that you need to avoid in order to prevent SIDS.

I follow these religiously and don't take any chances.

HOWEVER...

I always thought the term SIDS referred to the spontaneous death or an infant that has no explanation. It is an unpreventable tragedy that occurs.

For example; If a baby has cot bumpers/liners and passes away-I would assume the cause of death would be suffocation-not SIDS? As there is an explanation to the cause of death.

My bestfriend passed away in 2007 from SADS. Sudden Adult Death Sydrome. They searched every inch or her body and tested her for eveyrthing under the sun. No cause of death was ever found. So in conclusion-it was SADS. Wouldn't this mean the same for SIDS?

I am just curious as I heard so many different things.

No matter how it happens, it is a terribly devastating event and I send out all my love to those affected by SIDS.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I think in relation to the cot bumper thread, one poster hit the nail on the head- if an infant rolls over and pushes their face up against the bumper and cannot breathe, then you're right- it's suffocation.

However, because cot bumpers restrict the air flow into the cot, and an infant dies because of it, then that will more than likely be considered to be a SIDS death.

(I think it was all lumped together because we've been conditioned to think that bumpers = SIDS risk)

You're right- if there is NO other reason for an infant death, then it's ruled as SIDS (I'm fairly certain?)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (28-01-2012),MflUicM  (28-01-2012)

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think according to the Babylove book the term SIDs has been updated to the term SUDI - Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy. It includes SIDs as well as suffocation as described in the OP.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

MflUicM  (28-01-2012)