+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbity Babbity View Post
    You're right. The parents should be blamed and a unit.
    I once met a grandmother at an indoor play centre who was looking after her granddaughter for the day. We got to talking because she commented on how lovely it was to see my children eat everything that I put in front of them. We started talking and she told me about how her granddaughter has a chronic food aversion. This child has a problem with ALL foods and it is extremely difficult to get anything into her.

The grandmother then went on to weep about how people openly judge and blame her daughter for the child's food issues, when every professional they had encountered (paediatrician, dietician, OT, psychologist) were really at a bit of a loss as what to try next, without it being too invasive.

I never forgot that woman. It's not my place to judge. We honestly don't know the circumstances of this young woman's life, background or mental state.
    Fair go.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    I once met a grandmother at an indoor play centre who was looking after her granddaughter for the day. We got to talking because she commented on how lovely it was to see my children eat everything that I put in front of them. We started talking and she told me about how her granddaughter has a chronic food aversion. This child has a problem with ALL foods and it is extremely difficult to get anything into her.

The grandmother then went on to weep about how people openly judge and blame her daughter for the child's food issues, when every professional they had encountered (paediatrician, dietician, OT, psychologist) were really at a bit of a loss as what to try next, without it being too invasive.

I never forgot that woman. It's not my place to judge. We honestly don't know the circumstances of this young woman's life, background or mental state.
    Fair go.
    I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well she has 2 other children who eat very healthily, so the mother is doing something right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Being in the UK, i imagine they would not take their own lunch but would have the school dinners. If Jamie Oliver is to be believed (and I suspect he is right about this) nuggets and chips are staples in the school canteen.
    Why would they not take their own lunch? I'm in the UK and there's a 50/50 split between kids having packed lunch and those having school meals as was the case when I was in school. Agreed the reputation over here is bad but my sons school has a really balanced menu - certainly not all nuggets and chips as Mr Oliver would have you believe!

I feel sorry for the mother as my 5 year old can be a fussy eater but 15 years of McDonalds is extreme and I'd like to think I'd have investigated the psychological reasons sooner if it was my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    What if you lived somewhere with no maccas, and no frozen nuggets - she would eventually have eaten something else. She would have had to. A 2-3 year old would learn new habits. I can't believe the mother gave in and kept buying her toddler nuggets for each meal, every day.

I guess she probably figured she would grow out of it....

What about when she was at school? What did she have in her lunchbox?

It would actually be quite hard work to avoid all fruit and veg for 15 years. How socially isolating.

She may of starved then we could all judge her for that. Getting help is not as easy as everyone thinks, it costs money and some cannot afford it... I know children with the same needs as my DD who could not afford $45-60 a week session to help their children despite wanting to while on waiting lists(we got our public help call 8 months after applying).

It is hard to ask for help and all it takes is one judgmental negative know it all to make people afraid to ask for help.

It can be hard to admit failure or admit help is needed.