+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Death by McAddiction

http://www.news.com.au/world/slowly-...-1226255842932

So, so disgusting...

I don't understand how the parents could let it get this bad...she started at 2 so someone obviously acquired and paid for the food...why wouldn't they stop and force her to eat something else...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I watched fast food baby on abc recently, and I was expecting some really dysfunctional low ses type parents, but they were just normaly families who seemed to be overcompensating and it got out of control, and they did respond to help.

I think this girl needs help, which it seems they are trying to get. Obviously, it should have happened sooner.

I think sometimes when your child or family member has a problem, you end up with a myopic viewpoint, or the whole system becomes too hard to navigate, particularly if you don't have money to pay for private help.

But, it does seem very strange that she has only ever eaten one type of food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    She seriously needs pyschological help.

It's not disgusting, but oh so sad.

I wonder, apart from starving her, what the mother did to try to help?

The teen is now virtually an adult but she has a serious (if odd) addiction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow. I know how hard it can be to get kids to eat variety, having a fussy eater myself (and having been one). But she seriously ate nothing but nuggets and fries since 2?? Why would you keep buying them? That would cost a blardy fortune.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this would of been like a snowball effect.

The daughter cried for the nuggets and refused to eat anything else - I know how many times I personally have resorted to feeding DS his favorite meal just to make sure he'd have a full tummy.
    Not to mention how hard it would be to find help - imagine the response if she had of come on here "please help, my 2 year old is addicted to McDonald's chicken nuggets"
    I highly doubt she would of found support here - and I think it just got worse and worse and worse and yes 15 years is horrible, but I bet we're all guilty of caving in to a child's wants to avoid the possible screaming match.

I hope she can get some help, she must not feel great after only eating chicken nuggets for 15 years.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

DaughteroftheForest  (28-01-2012),fairyflossfairy  (05-02-2012),twotrunks  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am shocked she has survived this long tbh.
    I recall watching a documentary once about a grown man who only ate hot chips. It started when he was a young child and refused to eat anything else - his parents continued to try to get other food into him but he wouldn't have it and so they gave in and let him have the chips. He ended up needing very extensive physiological help - he just couldn't bring himself to eat anything else and would be sick if he tried. It was really sad. He did get a bit better but it took a lot of professional help (if i'm remembering right).

ETA: Found a short clip of the show i was talking about HERE
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 28-01-2012 at 12:15.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Abuse. Plain and simple. You get help from paeds and nutritionists.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She needs to get drunk, eat about 25 in 15 mins and then spew her guts up for 6 hrs. Thats how i stopped ever wanting to eat them.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (05-02-2012),Deserama  (28-01-2012),kriista  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What if you lived somewhere with no maccas, and no frozen nuggets - she would eventually have eaten something else. She would have had to. A 2-3 year old would learn new habits. I can't believe the mother gave in and kept buying her toddler nuggets for each meal, every day.

I guess she probably figured she would grow out of it....

What about when she was at school? What did she have in her lunchbox?

It would actually be quite hard work to avoid all fruit and veg for 15 years. How socially isolating.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Hollywood  (28-01-2012),laurea  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, i would have thought she'd get sick of them. I couldn't eat the same thing every day personally.

A little OT but has anyone met an adult that refuses to eat any vegeatables at all? (aside from potatoes? ) I have and found that very odd too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to laurea For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (28-01-2012)