+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Exclamation Toddler chews head off snake

A sleepy snake came to a rather untimely end after having its head half chewed off by a fearless toddler in an Arab town in northern Israel, the child's family said.

Thirteen-month-old Imad Aleeyan, who has six teeth, was found chewing on the head of the 30cm snake by his mother, who alerted the neighbourhood with her screams.
    "I was making his milk and I looked over and saw he had a snake in his mouth," said his mother, Ghadir Aleeyan who lives in the town of Shefa'Amr, 15km east of the port city of Haifa.
    "I started to scream. I couldn't believe my eyes," she told AFP. "I nearly died of fright."
    Her screams brought the rest of the family, and the neighbourhood, running.
    "We rushed in and found the baby with a snake in his mouth, chewing it. It was really scary, just horrible," the boy's aunt, Yasmin Shahin, said.
    A neighbour who had rushed to see what was going on yanked the half-dead reptile out of the boys mouth and killed it, she said.
    "When he pulled it out, Imad started crying," she said, describing the snake's head as "very badly chewed" when it emerged from the boys mouth.
    They immediately checked the child for any bite marks but found none, with doctors at Rambam hospital in Haifa confirming he was unharmed.
    "Doctors at the hospital told us the snake was really poisonous but that we were very lucky because they release less venom in the winter," she said.
    But Dr Boaz Shacham, an expert on amphibians and reptiles, told AFP that from looking at images of the smashed-up serpent online, it appeared to be a coin-marked snake (hemorrhois nummifer), a non-venomous species which resembles a viper.
    Such snakes grow up to 1.3m in length, he said suggesting it was a "very young" specimen.
    "It probably didn't bite the child because of the cold," said Shacham who is the head of the herpetology collection at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
    "They are not really active in winter."
    Link

Wow! Lucky that it wasn't venomous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear god!!! I am terrified of snakes, I couldn't imagine one of my children stumbling across anything worse.
    Thank god he was ok! But if he's happily chewing on snake heads I'd be quite worried about other dangerous things he could put in his mouth too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg, how scary for so many reasons.

Very glad he's okay.

And poor snake. What an unpleasant way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can see my nephew doing that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Holey crap!

Fighting for control over who's right... Predictive text or me!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg
    Lucky the boy is ok

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    < my actual expression right now

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god, if I found one of my kids with a snake in their mouth I think I'd drop dead!

So glad he's ok.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    omg!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel very sorry for the snake

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-01-2012)