+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default doggie boredom busters

So we have two dogs - one a staffie x greyhound and the other is a lab x staffie. We run them every night however, in our new house the yard is relatively smaller to what they had previously unfortunately and we're noticing their getting a bit bored day to day.
    We have a few toys and bought them some bones today, what are some other great boredom busters we can try?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dobermann used to love a tennis ball on a rope hung on a tree (or clothesline) - he would play tug of war with it for ages! Otherwise Kongs are always good - you can stuff them with mince then put them in the freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can freeze dry food in ice blocks too - mix a little blood in the water

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I rinse out a coke bottle, fill it with stock, then freeze it. Once it's frozen, poke holes in it then give it to them. We also have clam shells, and a metal framed rectangular pool for digging in. I find burying bones a good way to pass the time.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    * Buy a Kong dog toy, fill one end with peanut butter and freeze it. Once frozen, fill with cooled beef or chicken stock through the hole you haven't plugged up, poke a bully stick into it and set it upright in the freezer.

* Fill a shell pool or other hard plastic pool with water and float dog pool toys and treats like pigs ears in them

* Fill a shell pool with sand and bury bones, toys, treats and tennis balls in it, with some showing above the surface.

* Make a treat trail. I did this almost every day for my beagle. Fill a plastic bag with stock. Snip a small hole in one corner and while walking across the lawn, make a trail by dribbling the stock across the lawn. Every so often, stop and hide a long lasting treat, either by hiding it under a bush, behind a rock or tree, or only partially burying it. Make sure the trails lead to the various treats.

* Buy them a treat/kibble dispensing ball

* Buy a rope tug that you can hang from tree branches, They leap to grab it, and it flicks away from them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a doberman that was a nightmare when he got bored. He would chew anything that he could reach and would dig holes like there was no tomorrow. For the digging we purchased a big sandbox and hid pigs ears in the sand so it taught him to dig in the sandbox and not the garden!!

We also gave him a kong on a daily basis, I used to use peanut butter and honey once a week. 3 days a week I filled it with mixed frozen veggies. Othertimes I used custard mixed in with his custard. I kept two, one in use and the other in the freezer.

We also found it beneficial to send him to daycare. We sent him once a week and on a day trip once a fortnight and he loved it.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my house we are so glad they have grown out of chewing shoes, now if only I could stop the labby stealing and hiding everyone's socks I'd be a pet guru!

My boredom busters are a king with peanut butter for the Labrador and the bulldog loves to destroy cardboard boxes so I put the fat cooked off the mince and drip it inside any boxes we have and put them out the back in the mornings. Plastic bottles are also a big thing with my dogs with little bits of cordial inside the bulldog likes to chew off the lids and drink the cordial lol. We do bones too but the labby just hides them and try don't get eaten

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dobe used to get bored all the time, we found he liked pulling apart plastic plant pots, so we'd give him stuff he was allowed to pull apart. He also had his own garden he was allowed to dig in(but a shell pool or sand pit is probably a better idea to save confusion).
    We give our dogs a brisket bone daily. It's a bone that they can eat all of(so better than a marrow) by the time they've eaten it they are full and tired.
    Aussiedog make great boredom toys, like hanging tug toys.
    You can also get hanging treat droppers.
    Stuffed kongs, and in summer frozen brisket/chicken frame or ice blocks are great!
    Mental stimulation is the best way to tire out a dog, so find stuff that makes them think or spend a few minutes (if you have time) before you leave doing some obedience with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dogs love this ball called a staffy ball, it's like a hard basket ball, my boy will shuffle it around for ages. He can't pick it up or break it or deflate it so it keeps him interested. Trying to remember the brand...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    My dogs love this ball called a staffy ball, it's like a hard basket ball, my boy will shuffle it around for ages. He can't pick it up or break it or deflate it so it keeps him interested. Trying to remember the brand...
    It's aussie dog. Thought that name sounded familiar when pp mentioned it. It was very expensive but he's had it since he was a pup and he's now 4.5 so it was a good investment.