+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mince and chicken thighs! Need ideas please!

So I've decided to do a bit of a clean out of the freezer, as I do every two months or so, and I need ideas of what to make with the meat I have ...

The problem is that I seem to have an over abundance of chicken thighs and beef mince! I need some ideas so that it doesn't feel like we are eating the same thing every night for the next 3 weeks

Also, nothing with any form of tomato in it, please no fresh tomato, sun dried tomato, tomato paste, tomato sauce, tomato flavoring of any kind. Stupid DH.

Thanks!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    OMG mince and tomato go together like... Forrest Gump and Jenny?

Ok so my immediate suggestions for the mince have gone out the window..

Chicken thighs.. I saw heaps of great recipes on this site this morning (I love it!) maybe just use their search function and type in chicken thighs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chicken thighs - sprinkle with morrocan spice then fry until cooked put aside add cup cream and chicken stock to pan reduce until thick then serve sauce over chicken.

Chicks thighs - chicken curry of any kind (green/red/kenyan), butter chicken.

Chicken thighs - Chicken Leek Pie YUMMY

Mince - tacos, nachos, burritos, patties, rissoles, shepards pie, meatloaf all of those can be made with or without tomatoes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Bugs Mummy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids love paprika chicken and cous cous. It is semi-invented so I can't tell you exact quantities.

I use 8 chicken thighs, coat them in plain flour and paprika. Brown them in a roasting pan on the stove, then add garlic, rosemary and 2 cups of chicken stock. Cover with tin foil and pop it in the oven for 45 minutes on 160. When it is out I remove the chicken and thicken the stock to make a gravy. I then put cous cous on a plate, then the Chook and top with gravy. Done. You can be all swanky and present it in a targine too if you want.

I make the cous cous with chicken stock and often do a side of beans too. You can do the chicken in a slow cooker too but I find it uses more dishes (and therefore more washing up) as you need to brown it, transfer, do gravy etc in three different dishes.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (28-01-2012),Shoopuf  (29-01-2012),Yep  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use chicken thighs all the time. More flavor.
    I stuff them with cheese or anything yummy and wrap in bacon and oven bake. If no bacon I just bake them with some pesto on them.
    Or season with lemon, salt and pepper and bake in oven. Easy.
    PP mentioned pies (yummy) or curries.
    Mince- DH makes this Thai mince with lemongrass, coriander, fish sauce and vermicelli noodles (no tomato in sight) and its yummy. I could dig out recipe if you're interested.
    Also savoury mince- got any instant gravy? Just fry it with some onions/ carrots and even some potato. Mix through some gravy and you've got a pie filler or shepherds pie (I also season with tomato sauce but that's out).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mince - dinner winner, savoury mince, hamburgers, rissoles, homemade mince pies, salisbury steak.

Chicken thighs - any type of chicken stir fry, chicken kiev, roasted thigh fillets, apricot chicken.

Just off the top of my head.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Could use the mince in a chow mein type dish. Usually calls for pork mince or something, but it works just as well with beef. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18084/pork+chow+mein

Otherwise... Mix taco spice mix with the mince as per instructions, and serve in a roasted red capsicum (1 per person)... with cheese mixed in and mashed avo on top. (I'd pop tomatoes in mine too, personally... lol).

Rissoles. Swedish Meatballs. Some sort of tomato-free cottage pie. Koftas. Burgers. Meatloaf. Sausage rolls. A mince and veg pie.

For the chicken...

Skewers. Dice and coat and make your own nuggets. Honey chicken with fried rice. Cordon bleu (so fill with cheese and ham) and bake - crumb if you want too. A cream-based pasta dish - like cream and white wine with the chicken and pasta. Bake and shred and serve in rolls - like a hot chicken roll. A chicken salad/pasta salad. CHicken coconut curry. Mix chicken and other ingredients together and make a filo. A chicken and mushroom risotto.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sausage rolls for the mince. All my others suggestions have been mentioned already

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Apricot chicken in the slow cooker, herb meat balls, home made hamburgers, chicken and mushroom pie, tacos, chicken satays, mmmmm

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (29-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    OMG mince and tomato go together like... Forrest Gump and Jenny?
    I know right??? I LOVE anything tomatoey, and since I've been with DH (5years) I can count the number of times I've eaten spag bol on one hand I feel so deprived!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - they were really helpful! Here's what we went with:

CHICKEN

- homemade nuggets with salad and yummy mayo-like dipping sauce
    - chicken curry (Indian style) with rice
    - apricot chicken
    - leek and chicken pie

MINCE
    - homemade burgers (couldn't tell you the last time I ate a burger ... before I left home, so at least 9 years!!)
    - mince chow mein
    - mince curry balls & salad
    - savory mince with crusty bread

Hopefully that will see us through! Thanks heaps for all of your suggestions