+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PCOS with no typical PCOS symptoms?

Hi there,

I am sorry to crash this section when I haven't yet been confirmed to have PCOS, but I was wondering if anyone has been in similar circumstances to me?

We've been TTC for 14 months with no luck, and have just been to our GP to get the investigative ball rolling.

The GP thinks I probably have PCOS ... but I don't have any typical symptoms.

- I am on the border of being underweight

- I don't have excessive hair growth

- I don't suffer from acne

- I don't have any skin discoloration

- I have regular periods

- I get +opks every month, and I used to temp chart and saw a sustained thermal shift every month I did this

- My periods are just a normal flow, with little to no pain (the cramps have never been bad enough for me to react to them - they just feel like I need to pop off *sorry for the TMI*)

I've had blood taken today to test just about everything under the sun, and I have to go next week for ultrasounds.

I'm just wondering whether anybody has ever not had any of the symptoms, but still had PCOS? My GP seems pretty sure that's what it is. She said her reasoning was that my cycles vary from 29 days to 35 days, and apparently that's not normal?

An help or advice or similar experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep sounds like me, I suspected I had it for years, but docs never agreed as I had no symptoms other than the long cycles. It was discovered when I wanted to start fertility treatment. So it is a possiblity, you can have it confirmed with an ultrasound of your ovaries.
    Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fionaalice For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fionaalice View Post
    Yep sounds like me, I suspected I had it for years, but docs never agreed as I had no symptoms other than the long cycles. It was discovered when I wanted to start fertility treatment. So it is a possiblity, you can have it confirmed with an ultrasound of your ovaries.
    Good luck.
    Thanks fionaalice. I am booked in for the ultrasound next week, but I'm just doing a bit of research in the meantime.

Can I ask, how long were your cycles?

Also, did you chart your BBT and have a clear thermal shift every cycle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    PCOS can only be confirmed by ultrasound and blood test. There is also a difference between having poly cystic ovaries only and having the syndrome. It would be wrong to diagnose just based on that cycle length, I know plenty of people who have similar cycle patterns without any gynecological problems.
    AFM I have PCOS and have many symptoms including insulin resistance, problems with weight gain, very heavy and painful irregular periods, pain during intercourse, extreme cramping during ovulation, fatigue and a few others...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Shadaisy  (28-01-2012),Shoopuf  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    PCOS can only be confirmed by ultrasound and blood test. There is also a difference between having poly cystic ovaries only and having the syndrome. It would be wrong to diagnose just based on that cycle length, I know plenty of people who have similar cycle patterns without any gynecological problems.
    AFM I have PCOS and have many symptoms including insulin resistance, problems with weight gain, very heavy and painful irregular periods, pain during intercourse, extreme cramping during ovulation, fatigue and a few others...
    That's what I thought! I always thought your cycle length could easily vary by about a couple of days due to things like stress, change of diet, change of exercise routine, change of sleep pattern ... I thought it was pretty normal to have a small variance every now and then?

In the 14 months of trying, I have had one 29 day cycle (when I unexpectedly had to move house) and one 35 day cycle (when I started a new fitness regime). The rest have been 31-33 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep completely normal, try to stay away from Google too lol. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon! Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else? Shameless bump.

I'm freaking out a bit. Maybe it is PCOS??

I've never worried about the frequency of AF before ...

Everything I've read online says that you only have oligomenorrhea if you have fewer than 9 periods in a year. Last year I had 11. I don't understand why the GP has diagnosed this?? Help?

I'm freaking out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any symptoms. You can have polycystic ovaries and just not the syndrome. I had no idea why I hadn't fallen pregnant after 12 months of trying. I had regular 28 day cycles and positive opk's as well. I ended up having a lap done to check out my tubes etc and the dr confirmed polycystic ovaries (can also be confirmed by blood and ultrasound) I was in total shock.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadaisy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaisy View Post
    I don't have any symptoms. You can have polycystic ovaries and just not the syndrome. I had no idea why I hadn't fallen pregnant after 12 months of trying. I had regular 28 day cycles and positive opk's as well. I ended up having a lap done to check out my tubes etc and the dr confirmed polycystic ovaries (can also be confirmed by blood and ultrasound) I was in total shock.
    Thanks Shadaisy. Can I ask ... did you chart your BBT? If you did, did you see the sustained thermal shift which confirms ovulation?

This is the thing that is confusing for me - how can PCOS be the cause of my infertility if I am clearly ovulating every month?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did bbt chart and did not see the shift every month. The ultrasound will confirm if you have it or not. Not sure why the dr thinks you might have pco. Hope you get some answers soon.