+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    My kiddie's carer doesn't do school pick ups or drop offs and she's very reliable, as are all the carers my friends use for their kids
    Sounds as though you were unlucky

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    My child is turning 9, so if they decide at the last minute not to do the school run I have no choice but to leave work and that turns me into the unreliable worker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, definitely unlucky.
    Thankfully, my daycarer doesn't have school aged kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, definitely unlucky.
    Thankfully, my daycarer doesn't have school aged kids.

What will you do once your kids are school age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Goodness. I could write an essay on this. will try to restrain myself.

I was very pro fdc until my son was kicked out his at 3 (he had been there since 3 months old), and then I couldn't find another fdcer to take him, but centres would. So, obviously, my personal experience has tainted my view.

I think the pros and cons of fdc are this:

Pros
    - probably better psychologically for the child as they can form an attachment to one carer
    - less overwhelming for a young child as it's a home environment
    - more personal
    - some people say cheaper but my fdc and centre fees were identical per hour, and same minimum hours
    - the carer has more time to tell you about your child wheras they are a bit rushed in centres and it's not necessarily the same person at the beginning and end of day

Cons
    - less reliable as there is not guaranteed care if the carer is sick or goes on holidays
    - you have to trust the carer as the quality of the care is completely dependent on them, whereas there are a couple of people in centres
    - they can just cancel the care on short notice because they feel like it. it's not like a centre where they go through a whole procedure
    - sometimes it's too personal - sometimes I didn't want to get bailed up at the end of the day to hear the carer b1tching about xzy

My former fdcer had adult children and didn't do older children, so I didn't have some of the other experiences people refer to.

On balance, I think fdc with a good carer is better for children under 3 years old, and centre care with a kindy program is probably more appropriate after that. but it depends on the carer, the child, the family situation etc.

I am pregnant with no 2, who I will need to put in care 2 days a week when he or she turns 6 months. I haven't yet decided whether to use centre or fdc. it's a tough decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Of course the ratios are the same but FDC is obviously a much more 'family' type, intimate environment.
    Many times, if the carer is sick then the head office can arrange alternative care for the day.
    My kid's carer isn't unreliable but the centre's staff sure were.

My friend left her job because her boss was getting annoyed at her having to take so many days off because her carer was always having time off. When you have to work, at least in a daycare you know your child will be familiar with the place and people, even if someone is away, instead of having to go to an unfamiliar carer for the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My friend left her job because her boss was getting annoyed at her having to take so many days off because her carer was always having time off. When you have to work, at least in a daycare you know your child will be familiar with the place and people, even if someone is away, instead of having to go to an unfamiliar carer for the day.
    Everyone is unfamiliar until you meet them.
    Chances are the kids would go to the same alternative carer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is a hard choice personally I use both as I work night shift. One day a week my DD goes to a daycare centre in our area and has made some great friends. The carers there have worked there for years and are lovely people who genuinely love the kids. My family daycarer looks after my daughter over night 3 nights week and she is like one of the family. my DD knows which days she is going where and asks can she go visit on days when we have no care booked.

I have had a couple of fdc people that I have been less than impressed with but there were different reasons for ceasing care with each person.

The down side to any care is that when you child is really sick they can't go and you have to make other arrangements or miss work. I left my last job because whenever I had time off when I came back I'd get the oh your letting the team down by having so much time off speech. Funny thing is now my then team leader has a baby of her own and knows how I felt. I even got an apology!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    What will you do once your kids are school age?
    I will be working school hours. If not (highly unlikely) the kids can catch the bus to the carers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I prefer a centre, but the hours are not ideal. It means you cannot use them on the weekend, or after about 6.30pm at most centres (some close earlier still). Not that I want to be away from DD after 6.30pm, but my study will finish at 5.30pm, and then I have to commute home. Whether I do train or drive, it's going to take too long to get home before they close, so I'll have to use FDC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I prefer a centre, but the hours are not ideal. It means you cannot use them on the weekend, or after about 6.30pm at most centres (some close earlier still). Not that I want to be away from DD after 6.30pm, but my study will finish at 5.30pm, and then I have to commute home. Whether I do train or drive, it's going to take too long to get home before they close, so I'll have to use FDC.
    That's the other thing. Daycare hours are 12 hours a day, fdc was 8.30 to 5 tuesday to friday, and 3 to 5 (after school care only) monday. No after hours, no weekends.