+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Family daycare vs childcare centre

Wanting to know what your thoughts or preferences on the two were? I guess it comes down to the center and daycare mum you're comparing... But in the general scheme of things - what have been your experiences ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have used both. I prefer day care centres over family day care because I don't want my children to go in other peoples vehicles. Family carers often take the children out for errands like the shops or school runs for the older children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I much prefer home daycare

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only used long day care, so can't comment on my personal experience with family day care, but my concern with family day care is if they are in another room putting a child to sleep (also thinking a worst case scenario where a younger child might need some patting/settling), who is supervising the other children...???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use family daycare. It's really nice for babies (mine started at just under 12 months) if you find the right person. My DS has taken to her really well and I honestly think he would have hated a centre. I'm a bit of an attachment parent and I explained this to her. She was fine with not letting him cry and would simply carry him around while attending to other children. She would call me if she had too much trouble settling him and she never puts him in a separate room to sleep because he hates that - she sets up big cushions on the floor for him at nap time - away from other children, but in her line of sight - he's happy that he can see her and in fact falls asleep more easily for her than me!

She never takes the kids in the car for errands, or anything else, so I'm not sure that's a standard thing.

The only thing I find annoying is she takes a day off every now and then to do things at her children's school etc. I understand completely why she does, but I still have to work, so its a bit of a PITA.

I also think family day care is cheaper?

All that being said, I'm thinking of moving him to a centre at age 2. The reason being it is a Steiner centre and I plan on sending him to the local Steiner school. I think he might be able to handle (and get used to) the much busier setting of a centre by then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Home daycare is cheaper, max 5 children (changing to 4 soon) at once and it's in a home environment.
    My eldest hated the centre and I personally don't think kids get enough time spent with them. If kids are crying, the staff don't always have the time to comfort to them.
    My children's carer doesn't drive anywhere with them and nor did the last one as neither have 5 car seats or a big enough car for 5 kids. I don't think most carers do so I wouldn't see that as a concern.
    My kids and I adore their carer. They have a really good bond with her and yes, it can be an inconvenience if she takes the day off, I would never consider putting my kids into a centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's do FDC and love their carer! My only issue was if she was sick then daycare was cancelled and I had to try and find other arrangements so I could work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried both. My children prefer the child care centre. As there is more socializing, activities, they bring chooks in etc. they make alot of friends.

Of course though the centre they go to is a good one and theu absolutely love kindy days. they have been to another one which they didn't like as much and I found the centre was perfect until u left iykwim.

The family day care was run by my dh's cousin. While she had everything set up and all it wasn't great. I felt she had no control over the children that bit etc. and of course there were only 3 other children beside ds and personalities clash and he HAD to play with them rather then find someone he could relate too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I prefer the idea of FDC, but it would be important to me to know a lot about the carer. On the other hand my DS is very independant and would love to go to a centre where there are lots of kids, I just don't like the idea that he wouldn't get much 'care', since he's so good I think he would be overlooked.
    I prefer DS being looked after by my mum, but when he is 2 - 2.5 I might put him in a centre for a day, just to try it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Family Daycare is unreliable. They can cancel for any reason, they leave you without care even at the last minute. At least in a centre if the carer calls in sick, or goes on holidays, or resigns, the care is still available. The worst thing for me is how unreliable they are.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (28-01-2012)