+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Public hospital refusing to induce...

I am due to have bub #2 on March 15th (The day after DP comes home for 5 days) because DP is FIFO, I requested an induction if bub hasn't arrived by the 18th. So I will be past due (My EDD is absolute). I am
    going to Joondalup Public Hospital.

The midwives have told me that I won't get an induction because it is for "social reasons", which in normal circumstances, I completely agree and understand.

However, I have DD who will be 20 months, we moved from Sydney to WA in October 2010, and all our family and friends are in Sydney. So if DP goes back to work on the 19th, I will be induced mid swing or could possibly go into labour naturally and be effectively screwed if he's not here in terms of babysitter/birth partner.

He will most likely not be able to get a flight home until 24-48 hrs after I call him if it happens that way and if on a weekend, I have no hope of him coming home.

So I have a question, why can you go public and have an elective c-section, but not an elective induction? It's not like I'm asking because I like a specific date or before my EDD...

I have asked many different midwives and in 2 weeks time I have my compulsory appt with the Dr's and will ask them also.

Why is this such a difficult request?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Afaik you can't have an elective cs public, can your partner take caters leave or annual leave that swing?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was only asking because of the other thread about if you can have an elective c in a public and there were SO many people saying they did... I don't know.

The problem with DP taking leave is that if bub doesn't come and then they induce me after 2 weeks, that's it. He has to go back. They won't approve AL. Even though he applied for it 5 months ago. Will only let him have parental leave and then if I need him longer, carer's leave.

I don't know how they can call themselves a 'family friendly' company.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha1984 View Post
    I was only asking because of the other thread about if you can have an elective c in a public and there were SO many people saying they did... I don't know.

The problem with DP taking leave is that if bub doesn't come and then they induce me after 2 weeks, that's it. He has to go back. They won't approve AL. Even though he applied for it 5 months ago. Will only let him have parental leave and then if I need him longer, carer's leave.

I don't know how they can call themselves a 'family friendly' company.
    I think that was a VBAC thread?

I get what your saying (my partner fifos too) he could effectively need 2 swings off, it's hard huh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=443668

I thought the OP was talking about electing to have a csect next time around?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such a pain. I'm more scared of this birth than I was with my first, and I am a massive wuss!

I have the lowest pain threshold and yet last time, no freaking out. Nothing. I'm sh!t scared this time and it's all because you obviously can't predict these things and I can't look after a 20 month old AND give birth at the same time.

They are really starting to p*** me off with it really. So is DP's employer. I just don't understand how they can be so ruthless and un-caring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What happens if you go into labour early though? Won't that also be a problem with babysitting etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep because she has had a cs previously they will more than likely let her choose between a VBAC or an elective cs, because your haven't had a cs you have to go al-natural unless something is wrong or your late :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Yep because she has had a cs previously they will more than likely let her choose between a VBAC or an elective cs, because your haven't had a cs you have to go al-natural unless something is wrong or your late :/

Ahhhh... That makes more sense I guess. Still unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha1984 View Post
    Ahhhh... That makes more sense I guess. Still unfair.
    Yep

Do you have any other support, someone that could watch your DD just in case?