+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    How insulting hugs I would of walked out and not gone back
    Thank you. She said it the night before I being discharged and I won't be having any more children and I've certainly told all my family and friends about my experiences at that particular hospital (because, trust me, that was the least of their problems.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I read it as more as a "none of your business," type statement.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I read it as a none of your business type comment too, it's amazing how personal people you know, even strangers get once you have a baby!

So many times a shop assistant has asked me out of nowhere if I am breastfeeding, yeah I am, did you want some??
    Not sure why anyone really needs to know how someone feeds their baby, unless it is being directly talked about like PP said, its an innappropriate question IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I totally understand where she is coming from! It has not connecting breastfeeding to genitals, but a frustrating vent on how all of a sudden when you fall pregnant you are at the mercy of everybody giving you tgeir opinions, whether they are warranted or not. It was one of the first questions anyone would ask me when I had DD1 and to be honest, wish I had the balls back then to give a quick, witty response. Bit like elderly strangers at the shops who interfere when I am dealing with a tantrum throwing 2 yr old!! Thats another thread altogether!

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally get where she is coming from! When pregnant or with a newborn, I got so sick of the personal questions 'are you having a natural birth or csect?' ' will you be breastfeeding?' 'do you have any stretchmarks?' 'did you end up with stitches?' 'do you have haemmhoroids yet?'. My goodness, since when do people ask so many personal questions.... Any ONE of those questions would be highly inappropriate in most social situations.... And doubly so if coming from a stranger or a bloke, in my opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfornumber2 View Post
    Definitely depends on the context - if a creepy old man asked me in a shopping centre I'd bat him over the head with my handbag!
    I had a creepy old man complete stranger ask me that when I was heading back to my car after taking ds1 to school then preceded to tell me how young I looked to have 3 kids. I was just shocked and kinda didn't know what to do or say. I get where your friend is coming from how we feed our babies is no ones business unless a close relative or friend in a non judgmental sympathetic way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right guys. I think I completely took it the wrong way. It kind of is a pain in the *** when people ask whether or not you're breastfeeding. Thanks for giving me another point of view = )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate it that my MIL asks me, just because she never speaks to me or DS, and is....whatever the polar opposite of attachment parenting is.
    She thinks it's terrible that I still breastfeed and co sleep at 17 months, and she makes that quite clear.
    Anyone else, I don't really mind, unless I know they're asking so they can be all shocked and disgusted when I answer yes. Which unfortunately, is most people that I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post

So many times a shop assistant has asked me out of nowhere if I am breastfeeding, yeah I am, did you want some??
    Haha! Best response

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

changethestars  (28-01-2012),ohdear  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all of the responses but totally get where she is coming from.

When I was preg with Dd1 I was constantly asked if I planned on BFing and if I planned on a vaginal birth. By random people. Especially people at work. One day, I was asked both question rather loudly from across an office full of people and it was kind of awkward. My colleague (a man) was like, "she did not seriously just ask you that???" and I told him it happens almost every day.

So yes, I was tempted to say something similar: "I don't know what will happen with my genitals next month. What about you?? What do you think you'll do with yours?"