+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs
    I didn't convert my DD cot into toddler bed till she was 2 that way she was old enough if she fel out it wouldn't be such a big fall and she would just go hop back into bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mattress on the floor here too - we co-sleep so we're all on the floor! I did buy a toddler bed and it is next to the mattress, really low to the ground. The theory being he could transition to his own bed. Well, DP ended up in there most nights as DS likes to sleep in contact with me in some form and simply climbs over the rail half asleep!

though. It's horrible when they hurt themselves and you feel responsible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    You can get safety rails for toddler beds.
    Hi Bada and everyone else.

We went out and bought a bed rail tonight, got it home, poor DH went half mad trying to work out the instructions, and then we realised it was for an adult bed not a toddler bed.

We have a convertible cot - one that allows you to take the sliding rails off, but leave the footrest and headrest in place.

Do you mean that you can get bed rails for these convertible cots once converted (sorry - not getting exactly what a toddler bed is)? If so, any idea where? I've just googled for an hour, and am going mad!

My son is sleeping tonight for the first time in his big boy bed without a rail, and because of the lack of rail, I'm worried.

Thanks in advance!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I put O and J in toddler beds first, and Sander will have one... but I just used a safety rail from Big W and stuck a mattress on the floor in case... once the rail was gone, they fell out sometimes but just landed on the mattress...

Julian fell out of his bed a few weeks ago.. and his bed is quite high... poor thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

ricepudding  (24-06-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    as soon as my boys started walking (just before one year old) we moved them into big boy beds .. I dreaded the idea of them climbing out of a cot (and the thump that follows .. sigh) - we bought single beds, and just moved them into that ... we then used the old cot mattress for the floor .. sliding it under the bed in the morning, sliding it out to protect them from falling at night.

I dont get toddler beds?? part of me wonders if its just a way to get us to buy something ELSE for our kids??

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012),ricepudding  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jenny

I'm starting to wonder that too! I take it that the toddler bed is lower than an adult single bed?

Do you have any wisdom about bed rails? Do you know if they are only for adult sized (length) beds?

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    So my advice to anyone that has a similar cot/toddler bed combo, DON'T DO IT! Just go straight to a decent single/twin whatever size bed and get the safety rail...
    I converted DS's bed and came to the conclusion that there NO safety rails at all. Not even a few inches high. Also the bar that went alongside the bed between the foot and head end, was too high. The mattress could easily slip out from underneath and onto the floor.
    Big FAIL and it Im spewing because it was quite an exxy cot too!
    I then decided to pull the whole darned thing apart and to not look back at it again. Instead I went to look for a big boy bed (He was 18 months too).

I ended up with quite an unusual bed. His room is rather small and doesn't have a lot of space to store clothes and toys in. No room for a tallboy or anything. So I looked for a bed with drawers underneath.
    I went to the Tender center and found the perfect bed. It is called a captains bed. It has a trundle underneath (a huge drawer that holds a single mattress that you can pull out for sleepovers), plus 3 drawers as well.

The only con is that the bed is high off the floor. 90cm to be exact :\
    I had to make a little ladder for him to climb in, but my main concern was him falling out as he's a restless sleeper.
    I got a toddler rail and put it half way the bed. That was a big fail as he fell out twice in 1 night. Lucky I have carpet and had put 2 old body pillows on the floor. He didn't hurt himself too bad. He was just shaken up from the shock.
    I then moved the rail closer to the headend and he hasn't fallen out for over a year now.

I think the key is that people need to look at where they place the rail. I even contemplated getting 2 rails. Here's a picture of his bed. The ladder has since been painted and has metal hooks to attach it to the bed so it doesn't fall over/slide away:
    Attachment 23571

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    as soon as my boys started walking (just before one year old) we moved them into big boy beds .. I dreaded the idea of them climbing out of a cot (and the thump that follows .. sigh) - we bought single beds, and just moved them into that ... we then used the old cot mattress for the floor .. sliding it under the bed in the morning, sliding it out to protect them from falling at night.

I dont get toddler beds?? part of me wonders if its just a way to get us to buy something ELSE for our kids??
    The cots that convert into toddlerbeds can also be more expensive than regular cots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just bought this bed ready for DD down the track at the target sale. I hope I don't have the same problem as you OP
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricepudding View Post
    Hi Bada and everyone else.

We went out and bought a bed rail tonight, got it home, poor DH went half mad trying to work out the instructions, and then we realised it was for an adult bed not a toddler bed.

We have a convertible cot - one that allows you to take the sliding rails off, but leave the footrest and headrest in place.

Do you mean that you can get bed rails for these convertible cots once converted (sorry - not getting exactly what a toddler bed is)? If so, any idea where? I've just googled for an hour, and am going mad!

My son is sleeping tonight for the first time in his big boy bed without a rail, and because of the lack of rail, I'm worried.

Thanks in advance!
    you can get one from ikea, and safety 1st make one too - I think that's the one big w sell. I have no experience in actually attaching them though, we just used a matters on the floor. But I think the ike a one is designed to attach to their convertible cot, which we have and which sounds similar to what you have.
    Good luck!