+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    That's good news!

Nevertheless, definitely something for people to keep in mind if they arent sure which way to go.
    Unfortunately some women don't have a choice and need to have a c section for the safety of mother and baby. I have had a few c sections in the past and had no problem breastfeeding at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Just normal, straight-forward vaginal birth, with no intervention? I have never read that before. Any links?
    Much more common with prems, but I know a couple of people who have developed CP from birth trauma at full term.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 27-01-2012 at 17:27.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Birth is a common cause of CP.
    http://healthewoman.org/2009/03/06/w...erebral-palsy/ less than 1% according to this website!

Took the red pill.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    CONCLUSIONS: Cesarean delivery can reduce the risk of adverse childhood neurologic outcome for those born with myelomeningocele, and may reduce the rate of brachial plexus palsies and neonatal herpes and HIV infections. However, children born by cesarean have no documented reduced risk of other childhood neurologic problems or cerebral palsy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8134078/

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    http://healthewoman.org/2009/03/06/w...erebral-palsy/ less than 1% according to this website!

Took the red pill.
    and the odds of baby getting an infection are lower...

CP must be more common than I have realized. 5/10 of the people I know with it was caused by birth.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 27-01-2012 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by laurea View Post
    Unfortunately some women don't have a choice and need to have a c section for the safety of mother and baby. I have had a few c sections in the past and had no problem breastfeeding at all.
    I hope I've made it clear that there are many reasons for planned c-sections?

However, if someone is not sure which way to go, (as opposed to having a clear medical indication for c-sec), then this info should be helpful or at least something to consider.

I myself have had a c-section (emergency)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    and the odds of baby getting an infection are lower...

CP must be more common than I have realized. 5/10 of the people I know with it was caused by birth.

Just thought I should point out that you've seriously misunderstood the statistic.

The statistic is not that 1% of babies born naturally get CP, the statistic is that events during a natural birth account for the causes of the less than 1% of all cerebal palsy. Do you see the difference?

Of the babies born that have CP, birth is the cause of less than 1%

The increased incidence of infection after c-sec is much higher

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-01-2012),headoverfeet  (27-01-2012)