+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I also thought that babies will usually be exposed to bacteria from the anus being vaginally birthed, (good healthy gut flora), as that is the way they usually face coming out, something else which cesarean babies miss out on.
    I read somewhere that babies are immune to the bad germs found in the poo of their own mothers! I'm sure there are some good things going on there too!

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So interesting! I thought I read somewhere that if the baby is breastfed for the first 12 months it reverses the trend, and so they think it has more to do with low rates of breastfeeding after a c-section. (I'll try to find it)

Anectodatally I find my own experience interesting, because DD1 (vaginal birth) was so unsettled with mucus in the first two weeks, then was getting sick a lot. She got sick before 6 months with colds constantly and coughs. All the babies in our mothers group got gastro around 8 months badly and from then, DD1 got it quite a bit. On the other hand DD2 (c-sect) was settled from birth, I can't remember her first cold but it was definitely not until after she was 6 months old, long after we moved to melbourne, and even now won't get sick when the rest of us do and has never been really sick other than a runny nose.

I wonder what else comes into play in the study...

eta... maybe it is what AM said... being exposed to poo... DD was born the wrong way up haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I always hate when people come into to complain about new research. It is not saying, "Have a caesarean, you're a terrible person!" or even suggesting that if you have a caesarean your baby WILL suffer from these issues (or, if you have a VB your baby will not suffer from these issues)... just that it's MORE LIKELY they will.

Just like you're MORE LIKELY to die in a car crash if you're drunk. Doesn't mean every drunk driver will crash and die... or that only drunk drivers crash and die... just that it ups the risk.

It's not a personal attack. It's the result of evidence gathered that leads to that conclusion.

Anyway, my daughter didn't have many issues post-caesarean, but she didn't breathe for 11 mins after her delivery, as a result of being born via caesarean and having no compression on her chest to expell the gunk. The paed took a long time to come to help... thank goodness she started on her own.

I was offered to breastfeed her when she was approx 2 hours old, but given I was laying flat on my back and had never held a baby before, let alone attempted to breastfeed one, that was the weirdest, most awkward part of it all, and there was no real breastfeeding going on at that point. Just a baby rolling towards my neck while I struggled to see WTF was going on, as a nurse fiddled with my tits, eventually milking me like a cow. No comment on whether or not that made breastfeeding difficult long-term though... I think my issues with breastfeeding came more from a lack of support and a lack of information than anything else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Anyway, my daughter didn't have many issues post-caesarean, but she didn't breathe for 11 mins after her delivery, as a result of being born via caesarean and having no compression on her chest to expell the gunk. The paed took a long time to come to help... thank goodness she started on her own.
    That's terrible! I thought it was the rule in all states that it is mandatory at a c-section that a peadiatritian is present at the time of the surgery. They are the ones that the ob hands the baby over to. Why wasn't one in there?? - I'm glad everything turned out well!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Studies like this are pretty important for people to be able to assess the risks of having a cesarean. Its not saying "OMG dont have one whatever you do!!!" - simply giving more information about the outcomes and risks.

People should be given this to consider when deciding if a c/s or a vb is better for their individual circumstances.

I like that it is at least based on a high number of babies over a long period of time ... gives me a bit more confidence that it is vaguely representative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a scheduled c section ( fibroids above cervix) and a week before my naturopath started me on probiotics plus some other homeopathic oil and from the day he was born she had DS take probiotics plus fish oil as she also said caesar babies miss out on all the good stuff from the birth canal, I did have trouble breastfeeding in the beginning but luckily neither I or DS had any infections/sickness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I will be delivering mine by csection, would rather the child get asthma or gastro than stuck and get cerebral palsy gd forbid!
    Huh? Babies develop cp from being birthed vaginally? What'd I miss?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Can happen... I have mild CP and hypertonia and hyperflexibilty after my Mum was forced to birth me vaginally with forceps while I was a footling breech.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Birth is a common cause of CP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just normal, straight-forward vaginal birth, with no intervention? I have never read that before. Any links?